Moving in the Post Pandemic World

• skeleton567 wrote:

below86 wrote:

Where ever there is an ocean I can get in.  Hawaii would be nice, but expensive.  USVI, Caribbean Islands, almost any place where it won't snow.  I would love to never have to worry about snow again.

I miss my vitamin sea!

USVI was very commercial, When dining you couldn't even get a waiter without laying out a cash tip on the table and staff was very aloof.  Hawaii was just the opposite, great staff and great service.  I was lucky in that my first Hawaii trip was company-paid as a perk following a long important project.  Second time we paid ourselves since I wasn't working, but the trip was well worth it.

I don't think full-time residence would be worth it either place, as you say, too expensive.

I've been to all 3 USVI and I never ran into that any place we were at.

If my worked said it was OK, I would be doing some research on what would work best for me and the wife.  And then we would be gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• David.Poole wrote:

Let's imagine good internet connectivity is ubiquitous (it isn't in reality).

My ideal would be the Lake District or the area in Shropshire south of Shrewsbury.  A train ride to any office is possible though not on a regular basis.

Hopefully that changes. I know that microwave is getting big here. I have a choice of 3-4 carriers now, which is amazing.

• latkinson wrote:

Ever since I was a kid, I've always had a soft spot for the Hendersonville, Asheville area of North Carolina.

Luther

Have a school friend just outside of Asheville. Beautiful place.

• But what's the point in moving? You can't run from the virus, small towns can have a higher risk of spread than cities, and if you wait it out, the expensive neighborhoods close to where you work will only get less expensive.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• One incentive for relocating now is record low interest.  If you're going to have a mortgage, this is the time. I'm 77 and have never seen rates like this.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Eric M Russell wrote:

You can't run from the virus, small towns can have a higher risk of spread than cities

I refuse to be afraid of my own planet.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

small towns can have a higher risk of spread than cities

I'm curious as to how you determined this? If you look at the numbers, it's the larger cities that have the highest infection rates. (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=qCqGCEB_enUS889US889&ei=XnN3X--yIMqP5wLE7aioBg&q=covid-19+infection+rate+by+city+usa)

In small towns, if only a few individuals are infected the percentage for the overall population is skewed higher only due to the small population size. So it seems that rural America is fairly safe.

• Eric M Russell wrote:

But what's the point in moving? You can't run from the virus,....

First, this post is about a Post Pandemic world.  So you wouldn't need to worry about the virus then.

Second, It's about where you ideal place to live would be.

For me a place I can wear sandals and shorts all the time and I'm near the ocean.  So when I'm not working I can enjoy my time outside and not ever worry about snow again.  Just lather on the sunscreen. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• If no one moves, costs don't change. If lots of people move, costs might fall wherever they leave, but as noted, that's not the question.

Where would you want to move? Maybe it's down the road to a better spot in your city. Maybe it's another locale.

No wrong answers here. Some of you might be in the best spot already.

• skeleton567 wrote:

About 15 years before retiring we bought an old 10-acre mining claim in the Rockies, the Skeleton #1 claim, and in 2003 built a log cabin which was our part-time residence until 2019.  This link will show you our best-loved location on Google Earth.   I didn't WORK at this place, just got away from work here.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/567+Grasshopper+Road,+Pitkin,+CO+81241/@38.61635609,-106.53845374,3011.44920387a,2783.46150645d,35y,-154.72618565h,45.01169462t,0r/data=CigiJgokCTPngXSVnDNAETPngXSVnDPAGbw8o-C9fx9AIZWfMVP-OVfA%5B/quote%5D

A neat area. We love our place at Keystone, but looking forward to venturing a little further out in CO. We've considered getting 10-15 acres (or more) out somewhere in the mountains.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

skeleton567 wrote:

About 15 years before retiring we bought an old 10-acre mining claim in the Rockies, the Skeleton #1 claim, and in 2003 built a log cabin which was our part-time residence until 2019.  This link will show you our best-loved location on Google Earth.   I didn't WORK at this place, just got away from work here.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/567+Grasshopper+Road,+Pitkin,+CO+81241/@38.61635609,-106.53845374,3011.44920387a,2783.46150645d,35y,-154.72618565h,45.01169462t,0r/data=CigiJgokCTPngXSVnDNAETPngXSVnDPAGbw8o-C9fx9AIZWfMVP-OVfA%5B/quote%5D

A neat area. We love our place at Keystone, but looking forward to venturing a little further out in CO. We've considered getting 10-15 acres (or more) out somewhere in the mountains.

Beautiful location

Rod

• Steve, The Pitkin Colorado area is very different from the 'tourist traps' around resort areas.  Pitkin is a small mining town of maybe 300 people in summer and about 100 in winter.  It's 15 miles west of the Continental Divide, 15 miles east of Gunnison and then about 12 miles off US 250 on a county road in the Quartz Creek Valley.  Very remote.    The mining claims are mostly in a valley uphill from Pitkin, only accessible by snowmobile in the winter.   Our claim was about 2 miles off the nearest county road.  The valley is surrounded by National Forest east and west, and hundreds of miles of forest service roads for 4-wheeling.  We had three and spent days and days riding the mountains.  30 miles east back over the Continental Divide is Tin Cup, where you can ride in for a church service on Sunday morning and then lunch at Frenchy's, the original old bordello from gold rush days.   The area is littered with the ruins of the old mining towns with mines and cabins.

Quartz Creek Property Owners Association (QCPOA) is the very reasonable HOA for the valley, and does minimal road maintenance to keep the rustic remote feel.  You haul and store your own water from HOA-maintained springs where you have water rights.   Clearing trees and building roads are communal projects.  Taxes are mostly quite reasonable in Gunnison County, at least from our experience.

This is NOT the place for city-slickers.  But if you love the remote outdoors, this is paradise.  Our wrap-around deck looked out on the CD to the east and was a wonderful place for morning coffee and late afternoon wine-and-cheese gatherings sometimes with about 20 other folks from the valley.

Prices have gone up as they have everywhere.  We started with purchasing the land in the 90's, built the cabin in 2003, and doubled our investment before we sold in 2019.  What's not to like?

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• I mentioned that I ended up in rural West Texas, but I probably should have mentioned that there is a tremendous upside. The cost of living here is dirt cheap. A beer at the pub is $2.50, you can easily get dinner for two for $20, a three bedroom house in a nice neighborhood is about $150k. I am easily in the top 20% of earners here, up with the lawyers and bank presidents. I am not complaining.

• GeorgeCopeland wrote:

I mentioned that I ended up in rural West Texas, but I probably should have mentioned that there is a tremendous upside. The cost of living here is dirt cheap. A beer at the pub is $2.50, you can easily get dinner for two for $20, a three bedroom house in a nice neighborhood is about $150k. I am easily in the top 20% of earners here, up with the lawyers and bank presidents. I am not complaining.

The downside is that it is flat and dusty (you have no idea unless you live here) - and of course, anything you want to do is *just* 6 hours away (in any direction).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• GeorgeCopeland wrote:

This question makes me laugh. I have worked remotely for twenty years and I can live wherever I want. I have always been curious about Tampa, and I thought seriously about spending some time in Singapore. The last place I ever thought I would end up is in a rural West Texas town, but that is where I am. I am here for family reasons and I have absolutely no choice in the matter. It is funny how things can transpire to change your plans.

George, I am envious of your being able to work remotely for so long. What I'd like to know is how you've been able to do that? Or put differently, who've you worked for to be so flexible towards their employees?

Rod

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply