Moving in the Post Pandemic World

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Moving in the Post Pandemic World

• If your company said you could move and live somewhere else, anywhere, where would that be?

If you'd have asked me before I started doing the company thing, I would have said, "Somewhere with a low cost of living and no state income taxes." Places like Texas and Florida instantly give you a higher purchasing power.

But the crazy thing is, almost all the telecommuters I've worked with along the way have picked the exact opposite: I live in San Diego (and our second place choice would be Iceland), Richie lives in Miami (no state tax, but high cost of living), Erik lived in Brooklyn, Tara lived in San Diego, Jeremiah & Kendra in Portland, etc.

• I live near in a small dormitory village (30 minutes cycling) the Peak District National Park in the UK.  If I drive then I've got good routes to some of the other National Parks.  1 hour to the following

• Snowdonia
    • Lake District
    • Yorkshire

I love the rural areas around Northumberland (North East).

Let's imagine good internet connectivity is ubiquitous (it isn't in reality).

My ideal would be the Lake District or the area in Shropshire south of Shrewsbury.  A train ride to any office is possible though not on a regular basis.

• Ever since I was a kid, I've always had a soft spot for the Hendersonville, Asheville area of North Carolina.

Luther

• There are loads of places I think I'd love to move to, coast, mountains (maybe stretching the definition a bit, I live in Yorkshire, UK) but would I actually move?  Away from family, friends even away from "home".  Home is where the heart is, my heart is with my extended family and friends, so no, despite the temptation I wouldn't move.

Also, as David.Poole says, I'm not too far to other places and I can have those as holiday destinations.

Good thought provoking question Steve, thank you.

• This is a fun question, on a Friday. If I could live wherever I want, without moving too many time zones away, I would choose to relocate to the Pacific Northwest. There are a few reasons for that. One involves the lack of support we've needed for a special need's family member. Another, I was born and raised in central NY. I'm used to seeing green around me. I've lived in the southwestern US, where it very dry, for decades. Our water bill is as high as some people pay for their rent. To keep the water bill at the level we currently pay, we gave up watering our lawn decades ago. It's dead. All our neighbor's lawns are dead. Brown is all I see, year-round. All I see is death, around me. I want to see life again, I miss it. I'm depressed most of the time, because of this.

For these reasons and more, I want to move to the Pacific Northwest. Mountains and greenery are what I seek. I'd love to work from there if I could work remotely.

Rod

• I've been a remote worker (with a few short exceptions) since 2012. It allowed us the freedom to get into the RV life. We would travel around the U.S. in our RV and attend SQL Saturday in various cities. Rest areas and truck stops were common places for me to stop for a bit to handle a conference call, meeting, or to spend the night when on the road to the next city. We had our home in Indiana to return to after a trip to refresh, renew, and restock. For about a year and a half we lived in our RV full-time. We now live in Florida and are taking a short break from full-time RV living, but expect to begin traveling again in a year or so. We found that full-time RV living isn't suitable for us and would likely return to extended trips like we did previously.

Working remotely allows me the flexibility to do things we ordinarily would not be able to do (like RV traveling). As a result, my productivity is much higher because I'm able to put more time into a project when it's needed without worrying about issues such as commuting. Because I get personal flexibility being remote, I also employ professional flexibility. This means that I may often work later in the evening, earlier in the morning, or on a weekend to handle work related issues as needed. It's important that flexibility goes both ways -- it can't be all about personal flexibility! In other words, if you want your job to be flexible with you, you also have to be flexible with your job.

• This question makes me laugh. I have worked remotely for twenty years and I can live wherever I want. I have always been curious about Tampa, and I thought seriously about spending some time in Singapore. The last place I ever thought I would end up is in a rural West Texas town, but that is where I am. I am here for family reasons and I have absolutely no choice in the matter. It is funny how things can transpire to change your plans.

• I never worked full-time full-time at home, only selected days when fuel for commuting got very expensive.  After growing up on an Illinois farm, I spent the first parts of my career in city areas of several states.   Then with a job change in 1986 we found a country home on a couple acres that was 12 miles out the nearest town/city areas which we enjoyed very much for 28 years as I held four different positions that were within driving distance.  Three of the four were in a town/city of only about 35k population but was home to offices for several large/multinational corporations, a quite unusual situation but which afforded good positions while not having to endure large cities.  The good part was not having to relocate for so long.

About 15 years before retiring we bought an old 10-acre mining claim in the Rockies, the Skeleton #1 claim, and in 2003 built a log cabin which was our part-time residence until 2019.  This link will show you our best-loved location on Google Earth.   I didn't WORK at this place, just got away from work here.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/567+Grasshopper+Road,+Pitkin,+CO+81241/@38.61635609,-106.53845374,3011.44920387a,2783.46150645d,35y,-154.72618565h,45.01169462t,0r/data=CigiJgokCTPngXSVnDNAETPngXSVnDPAGbw8o-C9fx9AIZWfMVP-OVfA

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Bears!

• Tegridy farms, but I've been remote for 8-9 years. I moved from the Dallas TX area to Salt Lake City Utah for a few seasons of skiing and hiking and mountain biking, but the slow grind of coronavirus shutdowns made us think that a beach would be better, so we packed up UHaul and are now on Tybee Island, near Savannah GA.

• Brent Ozar wrote:

If your company said you could move and live somewhere else, anywhere, where would that be?

If you'd have asked me before I started doing the company thing, I would have said, "Somewhere with a low cost of living and no state income taxes." Places like Texas and Florida instantly give you a higher purchasing power.

But the crazy thing is, almost all the telecommuters I've worked with along the way have picked the exact opposite: I live in San Diego (and our second place choice would be Iceland), Richie lives in Miami (no state tax, but high cost of living), Erik lived in Brooklyn, Tara lived in San Diego, Jeremiah & Kendra in Portland, etc.

I think that shows that money is far from the most important thing to many people, despite what they say, or sometimes, think.

• Where ever there is an ocean I can get in.  Hawaii would be nice, but expensive.  USVI, Caribbean Islands, almost any place where it won't snow.  I would love to never have to worry about snow again.

I miss my vitamin sea!

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• GeorgeCopeland wrote:

Bears!

Yes George, bears.  They would rummage through folks garbage cans if they left them outside, and we even had them come up on our deck right outside the living room.   It was sad when the uninformed people such as those in FS campgrounds left garbage outside and the bears found them.  The Forest Service would sedate, tag and haul them off once but the second time the bears paid with their lives for doing what was natural.

Rick

• below86 wrote:

Where ever there is an ocean I can get in.  Hawaii would be nice, but expensive.  USVI, Caribbean Islands, almost any place where it won't snow.  I would love to never have to worry about snow again.

I miss my vitamin sea!

USVI was very commercial, When dining you couldn't even get a waiter without laying out a cash tip on the table and staff was very aloof.  Hawaii was just the opposite, great staff and great service.  I was lucky in that my first Hawaii trip was company-paid as a perk following a long important project.  Second time we paid ourselves since I wasn't working, but the trip was well worth it.

I don't think full-time residence would be worth it either place, as you say, too expensive.  Our approach was that we saw many different places without committing large resources to any one as we focused on long-term benefits of retirement.  That was the best thing we did for ourselves, even if it meant not so many vacations.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply