Moving from RDL to RDLC files in SSRS

• For any custom reporting in an accounting software program m,y company uses we have to use the RDLC flavor of SSRS reports.  I can find numerous tools, tips, samples, you name it for SSRS reports that use the RDL file but the RDLC is almost non-existent.

Does anyone know if there is a way to convert between these 2 where you create/develop a SSRS report that uses an RDL file and once you have it like you want you then can edit/convert it so it works as an RDLC style SSRS report?   Even if it means some extra steps the sheer amount of support one can find for RDL style SSRS reporting make sit worth trying to do this if it is even possible to convert between the 2 SSRS types.  Its my understanding that the difference between teh 2 is that the RDLC file includes connection info so I would think it should be relatively easy to convert between these 2 report types.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Start here: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ProBITools.MicrosoftRdlcReportDesignerforVisualStudio-18001

This will at least get you the components to be able to design/develop the RDLC reports.  I am guessing that from here you can find tutorials and help.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks. I have Visual Studio setup to work with RDLC files but I'm hoping to find some way to easily or semi easily move between RDLC and RDL because there's far more support for RDL then RDLC style SSRS reporting. The more I dig into this the more it feels like as if RDLC is something no one wants to encourage anyone to use and that it exists because of some requirement but everyone involved with SSRS wants to discourage anyone from using RDLC and opting for RDL instead.

Then again there also seems to be a lot less user support for SSRS in general compared to older Custom reporting technologies like Crystal Reports which is what we moved from when our main accounting software program stopped supporting Crystal a few years back.   There doesn't seem to be much support for custom reporting in general just for platform specific reporting.   Regardless of What RDBMS your using you can find a lot of SQL support and specific SQL flavors (T-SQL, PLSQL, ect) but for reporting its like every software vendor has their own proprietary take.

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply