Moving From Production system one server to another - Do i need to copy system databases

• We are in a process of moving our Production Server (Physical) to another Server (Virtual).

My I am moving all the user databases. Do I need to move the System Databases (master, model, tempdb& msdb) too ?

The Physical Server has SQL 2005 9.00.4035.00 SP3

The Virtual Server has SQL 9.00.5000.00 SP4

• No, you shouldn't move the system databases. Script out anything that needs to be copied across.

Also, any plans for upgrading from a 9 year old product (which is out of support)?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes. Are you a good resource to help?

• Depends what kind of help you're looking for.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Is it okay to restore the Database from 2005 SP3 server to 2005 SP4 ?

In future if we need SQL Admin related help if you can help. Send me your info.

• Yup, you can restore across the service packs without a problem.

I'm in South Africa, if you are as well, and you would like to set up a retainer for SQL admin problems, drop me a PM and I'll pass your info on to my boss.

Gail Shaw

• ok thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply