Moving DTS Scripts

• I'm very new to DTS, as I'm helping our database guy while he's a bit overwhelmed, so forgive me if this is a simple question...

We need to move a DTS Script (used to backup a SQL Server 2000 database to a file) from our test server to our production server. How can this be done (perferably automatically within a utility) if the servers are not connected over the network?

This will be the same procedure we use when doing fresh installations at off-site locations, so automation and lack of connectivity are the keys.

TIA for any and all help!

• Andy -

Thanks for the reply. I've been studying this article for a while. It seemed to me (again, being a novice) that it requires both servers to be networked (it establishes connections to both the source and the destination server).

If I'm overlooking something, please let me know!!

Dan

• Its easier that way of course! You can either do 'Save As' to a file, then copy the file to the other server (via disk or whatever), or save it as VB code, then move the code to the other server (or a machine with access to the server) and run it - recreating the package on server b.

Andy

• Great, that's what I was hoping. Now is it possible to set up something to run it automatically on server b, so that the admin for that site won't have to recreate it himself? Or is that asking too much from the newer technology of DTS?

• I would think you could do the file method and create a package on server B to pull the file without him having to know what to do. However you will need to handle errors in case of attempts at duplicates or build something to compare inside and out. However if you choose to overright make sure the package built to do this for Server B will not be affected.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• http://www.sqldts.com/main.asp?nav=1,6,242,0

I like this DTSBackup 2000 freeware product.

Check it out, I think you'll like it.

If you use the DTSBackup file format you will not lose the layout information encountered when using the DTS object model

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply