Moving distmdl.mdf and distmdl.ldf files...

• shame you had to go thru all that pain, the simple solution is to just stop SQL, move the distmdl files with explorer and restart SQL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• But what about the error that comes up when the patch or hot fix is installed and can't find the resource or the distmdl files? This would not be a good thing for us. We only had one server that already had databases and they are in the testing process at this time.

Thanks for your suggestions. Another company that might work.

• if distmdl in same location as master upgrade will work

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I will test this so we can use it in the future. I believe we have some production servers that don't have our data files where we would like them. Thanks, for your help.

• Hi Folks

I have the distmdl.mdf and .ldf files on my c drive but they are nor currently attached

can i just move these two files to their new location after i move the system databases or do i have to attach them first

Thanks

Jim

• always keep dist and resource database in the same location as master.mdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry

got it

but can i just move these two files since they are not attached, when i move the system databases ?

Thanks

Jim

• are you using any replication?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Not at this time and no plans to

Jim

• just pick the files up and move them with the master.mdf

• If you're not currently running replication, you probably won't have any problems moving the distribution database files.

If you were actively running replication, I'd try this:

-- 1. Stop the Log Reader and Distribution agent jobs on the Distributor.

-- 2. Take distribution database offline.

ALTER DATABASE distribution SET OFFLINE

-- 3. Move distmdl.mdf and distmdl.ldf files to new location (cut/paste).

-- 4. Modify the database to use the new file location.

ALTER DATABASE distribution MODIFY FILE (NAME = distmdl,

FILENAME = 'K:\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\distmdl.mdf')

ALTER DATABASE distribution MODIFY FILE (NAME = distmdl_log,

FILENAME = 'K:\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\distmdl_log.ldf')

-- 5. Bring the distribution database back online.

ALTER DATABASE distribution SET ONLINE

-- 6. Restart the Log Reader and Distribution agent jobs for the Distributor.

Note: I haven't actually done this for the distribution db, but I've used a similiar process to move subscriber dbs to a new drive.

• Thanks Perry

Jim

• Thanks RML51

Jim

• So I didn't see if someone already corrected you, but DISTMDL databae IS NOT the Resource database and the article you mention has no mention of the distmdl database. You are correct though when stating that the mssqlsystemresource database should be in same physical location as Master according to MS best practices.

CJ

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply