Moving Day

• Peter E. Kierstead (9/17/2009)

We use extended attributes to track things of interest to us like deprecation and TTL (time to live) on SQL objects...

So that's what extended attributes are for, I wondered! 🙂

I suppose this avoids "deprecating" an object by renaming it and directly "breaking" anything that refers to it, although that's one way to find out...

Also, renaming an object is liable not to update references to the object by name in SQL code that lives "attached" to the object, including its own definition. Not in SQL Server 2000 anyway. And if you wanted to install a separate new version of the object, re-using the name, there's possible trouble. Maybe it's better to create a new object as your backup of the old object, instead of renaming. If that means a copy of e.g. a table that doesn't have the original triggers attached to it, so be it.

• An alternative to running a trace would be to periodically capture cached query plans in xml format (from sys.dm_exec_query_plan and sys.dm_exec_cached_plans), and interrogate the results for occurrences of the table, index etc in question.

• Wow... you guys are extremely caustic... its a wonder any bother to post here anymore. I made a simple comment regarding how we use a facility. Take it or leave it. Your straw-man assaults serve no purpose other than to puff up your own egos...

PeteK
    I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

• Peter E. Kierstead (9/18/2009)

Wow... you guys are extremely caustic... its a wonder any bother to post here anymore. I made a simple comment regarding how we use a facility. Take it or leave it. Your straw-man assaults serve no purpose other than to puff up your own egos...

Please, don't take it this way!

Remember this is a forum; writing a post in a forum is not like chatting in front of a beer in pub: you miss the intonation and face mimic. If you think something can be interpreted in two ways, persuade yourself the good one has been meant.

I don't believe people post here just to "puff up their own egos".

Many people here has lots to say, that's way I usually stay in my corner and listen.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Peter, I totally agree with Gianluca.

The majority of us here at least, certainly don't puff our egos, but actually discuss the solutions we work with, aiming to find better ideas and ways to improve.

Please don't take offence.

• I have been in this business for many years and am constantly exposed to this behavior. I've witnessed it's beginnings and progress to the "art form" status it receives today.

The loss of civility due to the impersonal nature of technology is disconcerting. As professionals in any industry we are looked to by beginners, our peers, and our detractors. This conduct impedes communication by stifling growth, alienating our peers, and generally arming our critics.

Especially, in this kind of forum, we should foster a civil and nurturing learning environment for those seeking our advice. I know you guys mean well, I've been "here" for quite a while and even shared in some of the fun. Many others are new to the forum and concepts shared here and are overwhelmed by the juxtaposition of good information and acerbic presentation.

I hope I don't sound to harsh. I do understand your remarks and am thick-skinned enough to take any criticism my comments may engender! So, flame away! I guess this is just part of what defines this medium...:-)

PeteK
    I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order... as they should be.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply