Moving databases

• Hello,

I have to move 10 databases from a colo facility in Virginia to one in Nashville, TN. The databases range from 20 MB to around 8 GB. I'll be able to compress the backups around 60 - 80%. The problem is that the network bandwidth between the two colo's is pretty bad. We are trying to get additional bandwidth but if that fails, I need advice on the best way to do this. I just copied a 7.5 GB BAK file and it took 1:37 (HH:MM). This won't do since we have 10 to copy.

So -- I've been looking into using Log shipping for this. At some point prior to the cutover, I could set up log shipping on the source server and have it create and populate the destination server. We could leave log shipping running until the cutover and make the new, destination server the primary server and break log shipping. The original server in Virginia is going away.

During the actual cutover, our web application will be down. So we need to do this as fast as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this a decent plan? Other ideas?

Thanks,

Brett

• Thats the classic way of migrating to another server and minimizing downtime and will work well for you.

Those databases that are only 20MB probably not worth it though. Full backup and restore probably just as quick

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• George, Thanks for you response. I agree the smaller databases won't be worth the extra effort...

• Mirroring.

• For what you are doing, log shipping sounds like a good solutions. It will take a little time to get it setup, but once it is, you should not have any problems. Set it to ship every 15 minutes. Not sure how big your log files are (depends on the amount of activity) but it should work.

• Rome1981 (5/13/2010)

Mirroring.

if you have unreliable band width then this is not the best solution

Is it that much of an issue if it takes an hour and a half. How much down time are you able to secure for the databases? You could take the database backups home and use a home broadband connection to upload the files to an FTP server on the new site (you could leave it running over night)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Put two copies of your backups in a removable disk drive, send a guy carrying the disk on his briefcase on the last flight to Nashville, let them restore during the night on pre-installed servers - everything will be up and running by 8AM in the morning. 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • duplicate

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I will give u this, buy some back-up restore software! I guess Redgate has got a good one; i officially use Quest Software's LietSpeed! Back-up all the databases, put them in a share on server 1, use ROBOCOPY to copy the back-up files (this is faster and feature-rich than normal "windows" copy) to the destination server, restore them on the destination server! Due to bad network if ur ROBOCOPY fails, u can restart the robocopy operation which will start from the point it failed at the last attempt!

Cheers! 😎

• On the basis the outage needs to be minimised logshipping wins hands down.

No need to spend money on a third party tool, no need to spend money on plane tickets (return) and hope there are no flight cancelations, and make some poor sod work overnight restoring a backup that will be hours out of date, no need to wait for a full restore to run.

Mirroring would be too risky with the poor latency you are likely to have.

• george sibbald (5/14/2010)

Mirroring would be too risky with the poor latency you are likely to have.

i couldnt agree more, that would be my concern!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

... and hope there are no flight cancelations

:w00t: I'm appalled you don't trust the air travel industry 😀

• 1. gzip to copy the backup files. it will reduce you files to few mb's and thus less time to copy.

OR use SQL redgate - it too reduces the files by 90+%. and can copy the files too. you can download the trial version for now.

2. if there are network issues, you can use robocopy or fastcopy for copying files which resume copy incase of issues.

3. last resort - yes, take a drive to the destination @200 kmph - dont forget to take the harddisk along

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/14/2010)

george sibbald (5/14/2010)

ours comes to a halt with a little bit of volcanic ash....................

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (5/14/2010)

george sibbald (5/14/2010)

ours comes to a halt with a little bit of volcanic ash....................

No volcanoes around Nashville but I'm sure we can manage to get our planes grounded somehow 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply