Moving a Table

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Moving a Table

• I've never had to do such a thing before and so I have to admit that I had to look this one up.  Learned something new.  Thanks for the great question, Steve.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• it is especially useful, if you need a table to be online all the time, but want to load lots of data to it (e.g. full reload). Then you can create it in a, say 'temp' schema. When finished, just swap the tables using the aforementioned command 😀

• tsalha wrote:

it is especially useful, if you need a table to be online all the time, but want to load lots of data to it (e.g. full reload). Then you can create it in a, say 'temp' schema. When finished, just swap the tables using the aforementioned command 😀

That would work as a "3 name" swap.  Not sure how you'd do it with only 2 names.  Repointing a synonym is seems easier.

Of course, I could be wrong and would love to see a coded example of how you do it.  Even an old dog like me still likes learning different tricks.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Nice question, thanks Steve

• Why does the link point to the Brazilian documentation?

• To see if anyone is paying attention.

• No idea why Brazil came up for docs. I was sure I copy/pasted the US-EN version. It's been corrected.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply