move reports

• i'm moving a set of 50+ reports in different folders to another server. i've repointed the current projects to the new server and can deploy the reports to the new server without any problems at all (and created pointer pages to replace the current reports on the old server). my problem is subscriptions: many of the reports have 15+ subscriptions, and i don't want to recreate them myself (and don't necessarily want to push the burden onto my users if i don't have to).

is there a way to move the reports so that the subscriptions are intact? i tried saving the rdl file and moving that, but the subscriptions didn't survive.

• Hi,

Please, tell me..How you moved 50+ reports, one server to another server?

• there are a number of ways, but in my case, since i'm using visual studio to develop the reports, i simply repointed the project to the new server and redeployed them. it took about 30 seconds to reset the server reference in the project's properties, then a few minutes to redeploy.

alternatively, you can upload the rdl file to the report server one at a time. this is much more time consuming, plus you'd have to upload the data sources, then point the newly uploaded reports to them.

so for me, visual studio was the easiest/fastest way to go.

hope that helps...

• Check out Reporting Services Scripter: http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62. I haven't used it, but I believe that it will move subscriptions.

Mike Hayes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply