Move database to a new server

• You are right. The backup and restore is the most straight forward way to go.

Niyala

• Niyala (9/24/2008)

... why the copy database's last step (start sql server agent job) fails keeps me busy. Is there a package missing that's needed to do this task? I know that SQL was setup properly.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Copy DB wizard, but if it's using a SQL Server Agent job to perform the move, then the job will be executing under the context of the account that runs your SQL Server Agent. If this is a local system account or a network account that doesn't have access to your destination server then this could explain why this step is failing.

• Thanks a lot.

Both servers are in the network, and I can connect to the SQL database engine of one server to the other and vice versa. Therefore, I am not sure if I have access problem. Hence, I decided to use backup and restore solution. No matter what, I would be much interested in understanding what the background of the problem is. I will be doing a bit of reading and I appreciate if you could hint me on related links etc.

Regards

Niyala

• backup and restore method with minimum downtime:

backup db

copy over

restore on new server with norecovery

take app down

backup tranlog

copy over

restore tran log with recovery

unless of course your db is very small or in simple recovery mode

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply