Move backup File

• I am creating full backup file on my local machine and wants to move on network shared drive but want to setup automatically . this job runs in weekend early morning .

Any ideas?

• Create a Job / SSIS package for it.

You can optionally write bat / cmd files.

• logicinside22 (11/22/2011)

I am creating full backup file on my local machine and wants to move on network shared drive but want to setup automatically . this job runs in weekend early morning .

Any ideas?

How about adding an extra step at the end of the job? extra step will move the file over the network.

For details about how to include O/S commands on a SS job: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190264.aspx

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • If the SQL Service account has permissions to the share, you can do it all in one step using the "MIRROR TO DISK = " option of the backup database command.

• Richard Moore-400646 (11/22/2011)

If the SQL Service account has permissions to the share, you can do it all in one step using the "MIRROR TO DISK = " option of the backup database command.

If "mirror to disk" is a sync process this may negatively affect the performance of the backup - not a good idea to backup over the network.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi Paul

I like your suggetion can you tell me in details which command should use to setup for this

thanks

• logicinside22 (11/22/2011)

I like your suggetion can you tell me in details which command should use to setup for this

Please follow the link I've posted in regards to how to implement it - On the OS side I think xcopy would do the trick.

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (11/22/2011)

logicinside22 (11/22/2011)

Please follow the link I've posted in regards to how to implement it - On the OS side I think xcopy would do the trick.

C:\> Xcopy XYZ.bak \\1.2.3.4\abc

this example would help you!!!

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• I guess in SQL Azure(11) % Denali(12) we can take backup on network drives.

-------------------

Sagar Sonawane
    ** Every DBA has his day!!:cool:

• Saga... (11/22/2011)

I guess in SQL Azure(11) % Denali(12) we can take backup on network drives.

Even on SQL 6.5 you could do it if properly mapped but that does not means you will get any good performance out of it.

Take the backup locally so to get the best backup performance you can get then move the file over the network. That's the sensitive way to do it.

• I tried SSIS Job and worked fine to me..

Thanks for kind suggetion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply