Motivating the Team

• Good luck, Sue,and hope it works out.

And some interesting thoughts from others. I've had Blandry's experience for much of my career. I don't think that most of the work I do is life-changing or earth-shattering. I'll do what is asked of me when I'm paid. However if I'm not asked nicely or treated professionally, I'll move on.

At the same time, I take pride in a good day's work, doing what needed to be done. On top of that, it's nice to get someone that notices, and acknowledges that I've helped out the company, a person, someone. It makes a big difference in my attitude and how much extra effort I'm willing to put in.

• Environment is a huge factor in where I choose to work. I have been from small mom-and-pop shops to 10k + employee monsters in my 11 years in IT, from helpdesk to Delphi programmer to SQL Server DBA. I have finally found a place where I genuinely like everyone on my team. From upper management down to my manager, no one is afraid to speak their mind and give positive or negative feedback when it is necessary. In addition, each layer of management has supported me in several difficult situations with end users that could have gotten me fired at other places that I've worked. I have recently passed up several opportunities for more money or shorter hours to stick with this group.

I know - blah, blah, blah - but I'm actually sticking around even though the actual work sucks. It's dead-end crap that is business-specific and will probably go away in the next 5 years. The deadlines are impossible and end users (other than one) are major pains in the ***.

With that in mind, I have been working on side projects to keep my skill set up to date, so I won't be out of a job too long when it's time to move on from this one. I do hope to follow my immediate manager where ever he goes in the future.

• I have to add my vote for appreciation. I have been at this current job just under three years, and I have five hand-written thank you notes lined up on my cube wall. That doesn't count the emails from internal customers, some who I have never met in person, that were pleased that my work (development) has helped them.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Good post. All thou I feel that for me I need a variation of tasks and challenges. With that I also need the right salary or no word will make me feel appreciated and wanted, I think I have the right salary atm and I'm appreciated. A thanks is nice, all thou if you have seen "Revolver" where they amongst things talks about human appreciation, it's a bit weird but most people do need that "thanks" or "well done" now and again, I also have that weakness, it do feel good.

• Julie Breutzmann (10/7/2009)

Showing appreciation is important, but it's more meaningful if it's specific, timely, and sincere. "Nice job" is positive but not particularly meaningful. I once wrote a brief note of appreciation to a colleague and noticed it was still displayed at her usually spotless desk weeks later. I had no idea it would mean that much to her. You don't need to be a manager to show appreciation.

p.s. Silverofx: It's Jeff Moden, not Jeff Morden

At last someone noticed that deliberate mistake :-P, I have fixed it now 😛

Apologies to Jeff, for making that mistake. and for the Jeff Morden out there thinking they are that good. maybe later on in your career 😀

Everyone has their own opinion and experiences. Pesonally I think as long as you enjoy what you do, dont worry about anything else or anyone else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Robert.Smith-1001156 (10/7/2009)

I think the best perk management could give me and my fellow propeller-heads would be a small "skunk works" R&D project to develop something really leading edge (on the understanding that it won't take more than x% of my time).

I think Google does something like this, and for geeks its better than cash bonuses or pizzas or pretty much anything else.

Robb

I think this is a great idea. I've actually had an idea like this running around in my head to break up some of the monotony.

Let one person on the team research something new each month that they feel would help the way the company does business or a new way the team does things. Then each month have an informal lunch meeting or something and sit around and discuss it. At the very least you give each person an opportunity to learn something new and put their ideas into action. Even if it turns out to be a dead end. At least they were able to express their ideas and try it out.

In the end I think it has the potential to be beneficial to both the company and the employees.

• I think you have to have a balance. If you are only throwing money at people, then when they have what they want in that regard, they will go somewhere that will treat them well. On the other hand, if you tell people you appreciate them and have neat programs, etc. but only pay average or below average wages, eventually they will feel used, not appreciated. If you really want to motivate people, it takes both.

• I'm not sure that people think being paid average wages is being used. There are plenty of people that would like to make more money, but feel they get paid a good wage.

I like the idea of 10% of your time (or some percentage) being spent on something that interests you and may help the company.

• Great Discussion! The points I would like to bring up are...

After 20 years in the Army, I find the differences between motivating soldiers and motivating civilians very interesting. The same with leadership traits and abilities.

In the military - it is a life and death situation while out in the real(?) world - it is constant PC and threats of Legal Action.

To find a business manger with the ability to juggle military motivation with the insane PC style of the civilian community would be awesome. I would love to work in an organization like that.

Joe

• crookj (10/13/2009)

Great Discussion! The points I would like to bring up is...

After 20 years in the Army, I find the differences between motivating soldiers and motivating civilians very interesting. The same with leadership traits and abilities.

In the military - it is a life and death situation while out in the real(?) world - it is constant PC and threats of Legal Action.

To find a business manger with the ability to juggle military motivation with the insane PC style of the civilian community would be awesome. I would love to work in an organization like that.

Joe

Even better yet is companies that avoid PC effectively.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• As I walk through the plant daily, I tend to stop and make small talk with the hourly staff for a few minutes. (Small company, and I do a lot of different things, so I'm not at my trusty computer all day.) They respond very well to it.

However, my boss thinks I'm wasting my time and theirs. He worries about a few minutes lost productivity. I worry about their feeling appreciated and that someone cares. I just try to treat them like I like to be treated. I know I work better with a little attention. I assume they will too. Just maybe the boss is wrong on this one. 😉

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply