Most Work is Mundane

• I've always attempted to include some R&D time in my schedule in order to learn about new tools. I then atttempt to use my knowledge of the new tools to either re-write or enhance some of my previous work. I've found that this approach allows me to stay in my comfort zone while simultaneosly attempting to further my skillset. I've also found that by being one of the first in my group to learn the new tools, I tend to be assigned some of the more exciting projects while the slow adapters continue to receive the more mundane assignements. I also attempt to actively seek opportunites that allow me to automate the mundane of work of groups of individuals within my organization. I get extra enjoyment when I know that the work that I'm performing will be appreciated.

For me, the small amount of extra effort tends to pay off more often than not.

• Automate the mundane and take the time to do something that may be fulfilling. It is the successes and fulfilling types of projects that bring excitement for me.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I won't say I do not have any mundane or boring parts in my job but fortunately that I in the minimum and yes, I have also learnt to automate ther mundane parts of my job, most of it anyway.

I like to set myself challenges. I would for instance see some do some coding and then I see some flaws in it but in the same time I know that he had to sweat to get that code out. I would then challenge myself to make that code better. By the way, I am a developer cum sql dba so I have a rather wide spectrum to go.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply