Most Efficient Way to Transfer ERD to SQL server

• Hi

I am an SQL server Newbie. For a course I am doing I was asked to design a database so I created my ERD design in Visio. Now I find that visio does not forward engineer into SQL server even with the plugin I found here [/url] (Errors due to incompatible data types).

So my question is if you create your ERD externally to SQL server(Paper/Visio whatever) what is the most efficient method to get your design in SQL server?

If it is scripting is there any editor or environment that makes this task easier? I used notepad++ to script a MySQL database for a test but that was a smaller and simpler database then my project.

Thanks

• i find scripting the database out is better for me than using any tool to do it for me from visio (or the such) from an ERD. the first thing is i can make sure i get the data types i want to use and once i have it in it might make sense to do things slightly different from the ERD. the second is i can then keep the scripts around and if murphy really decideds to have fun with me and ruin all my backups (all 4 not counting my fail over machines) i can at least rebuild the database and start from scratch from the scripts.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• I use ER Studio Data Architect for modelling and scripting.

As you have discovered, Visio just lets you draw a picture that isn't much use for anything else.

I too always keep a copy of the DDL script in a safe place and version the scripts as I make changes to the database.

• I never thought about keeping the scripts for backup but that is a good point.

Is there a good editor to write the SQL in?

• flebber.crue (4/2/2012)

I never thought about keeping the scripts for backup but that is a good point.

Is there a good editor to write the SQL in?

i find i like SSMS for the syntax high lighting and coloring. however basic notpad will work just fine. there are all sorts of editors out there. notepad ++ has a tsql plugin the might fill your need. since i have SSMS its what i use.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply