More wildcard searches

• Same here.

When I approach question for the first time I'm looking for traps as they can easily be incorporated. Easier the question - the more I read into it 🙂

• The correct answer is 5.

• Yes, the correct answer is five. It was probably just a misplaced click when selecting the right answer.

Maybe more coffee is needed when defining the QOTD. We all make mistakes.

• HI SQLServerCentral Editor,

Please review the correct answer!!!

The correct answer should be 5.

Thanks.

• Strange - I got 5 rows returned. Rows id 1,2,3,4,5 am I losing my lid? GM the Old Hand

• Somebody needs more coffee and it's not me this time:):hehe:

• It return all of the record which is 5

• Selected 5, told I was wrong. The correct answer is 4. Then told all results are returned.

QTF?

• I suspect the author intended the first one to be a trap but accidentally added coffee in front of bean which made it a valid row. As written, the answer is definitely 5.

There are no facts, only interpretations.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

• The word coffee followed by a space is in all 5 rows so all 5 should be returned. This is confirmed in the answer explanation but the correct answer was marked as 4. Of course 4 is wrong. Hope you get this question corrected before too many people are marked wrong.

• My guess is that Steve selected the wrong answer as correct answer, as the explanation says all the rows are returned.

He's at PASS Summit, so he might not be able to correct this right away.

I wonder if a smart a** developer would say that it's 4 because he counts 0,1,2,3,4.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I tink the question must include the collation, because if the collation is case sensitive the answer will be 2.

• freyes (10/28/2015)

I tink the question must include the collation, because if the collation is case sensitive the answer will be 2.

Unless otherwise specified, the default settings are used, which include a case insensitive collation.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Won't this also depend on whether the DB is case sensitive or not?

• freyes (10/28/2015)

I tink the question must include the collation, because if the collation is case sensitive the answer will be 2.

It would actually be 3 in a case sensitive collation. But since that answer option was not provided, I concluded that a case insensitive option has to be assumed.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply