More Unicode

• Sean Lange (5/6/2016)

tripleAxe (5/6/2016)

Sean Lange (5/6/2016)

tripleAxe (5/6/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

Yes, we all know this by now and it was a simple mistake.

I agree. I don't undertand why some peoples get so upset and frustrated by simple stuff like this. Whilst I think it is just a bit of fun really, it also a great way of learning new things about SQL server which you might not think about otherwise. Sometimes, when the question or answer is not quite right, you get to learn more when you test stuff out and check it. So what if sometimes the QotD is "not quite Production ready"?

The people who complain the loudest have never submitted their own QOTD either. Then they complain about missing points...of course the complaining actually gets them their "unfairly missed" points. GGGRRRR!!!!! The points on this site don't mean anything. All it means is that you have posted more than somebody else big deal. The number of points does NOT mean you have exceptional knowledge, it means you post an exceptional amount.

Yeah! Like that poster who has gone back and commented all the QotD from 2004 onwards 🙂

LOL. But he was born ready!!!

He's also "the poster formerly known as crussel".

• Sean Lange (5/6/2016)

tripleAxe (5/6/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

I agree. I don't undertand why some peoples get so upset and frustrated by simple stuff like this. Whilst I think it is just a bit of fun really, it also a great way of learning new things about SQL server which you might not think about otherwise. Sometimes, when the question or answer is not quite right, you get to learn more when you test stuff out and check it. So what if sometimes the QotD is "not quite Production ready"?

The people who complain the loudest have never submitted their own QOTD either. Then they complain about missing points...of course the complaining actually gets them their "unfairly missed" points. GGGRRRR!!!!! The points on this site don't mean anything. All it means is that you have posted more than somebody else big deal. The number of points does NOT mean you have exceptional knowledge, it means you post an exceptional amount.

Well said. You'd think that points were actually currency. And if they are so important, you can simply leave two replies complaining about the wrong answer, and then you'll get point back. Leave three and you'll get it back with interest.

Don Simpson

I'm not sure about Heisenberg.

• DonlSimpson (5/6/2016)

Sean Lange (5/6/2016)

tripleAxe (5/6/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/6/2016)

Well said. You'd think that points were actually currency. And if they are so important, you can simply leave two replies complaining about the wrong answer, and then you'll get point back. Leave three and you'll get it back with interest.

It's nice to see a bunch of database gurus who actually agree on something.

• Apologies for marking the wrong answer.

Points have been awarded back to everyone as of now.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/6/2016)

Apologies for marking the wrong answer.

Oh great...now we all have more points than we deserve since we complained about not getting point to get them back. 😀

As always we appreciate your efforts at correcting these things when they don't go quite as planned. Thanks Steve!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• "Correct" answer and explanation disagree. Small 'a' is NCHAR(97).

• didn't notice it said select 2 answers!

only selected the 65 answer and got it wrong

• Oy vey, I missed the choose 2 somehow. Oh well. Otherwise, it is a straight forward question and I must have missed all the commotion about it being wrong.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Toreador (5/6/2016)

This is a disgrace I demand you give me the points that have been stolen from me in fact I want double points as compensation for the distress caused I'm going to call a lawyer

All gather the torch and pitchfork to start the march up to Dr. Frankenstein's castle. "Dr. Frankenstein: OPEN UP !".

The response comes out as "STUFF IT !"

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/6/2016)

Apologies for marking the wrong answer.

Sooo .. "thank God it's Friday" ?

• SQLRNNR (5/6/2016)

Oy vey, I missed the choose 2 somehow. Oh well. Otherwise, it is a straight forward question and I must have missed all the commotion about it being wrong.

I noticed that check box QOTDs require multiple answers, radio boxes are Choose One. That's what saved me today.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• tbailey 19088 (5/6/2016)

"Correct" answer and explanation disagree. Small 'a' is NCHAR(97).

this has been corrected. The correct answer is 65 (and Yes). The code returns this. The explanation was correct, but the wrong box checked.

• Wayne West (5/6/2016)

SQLRNNR (5/6/2016)

Oy vey, I missed the choose 2 somehow. Oh well. Otherwise, it is a straight forward question and I must have missed all the commotion about it being wrong.

I noticed that check box QOTDs require multiple answers, radio boxes are Choose One. That's what saved me today.

I need the web people to add logic to put up an error if people don't select the correct number of answers. The question has a note in it, but we don't want to trick people with just that.

• Thanks, Steve 🙂

Mike Hinds Lead Database Administrator1st Source BankMCP, MCTS

• According to Today's email answer should be

•Yes, you can run this code

•This returns 97

but explanation is

You can run this code. The CHAR variable is converted to NCHAR and the first character's value returned. An upper case 'A' is 65. Same as ASCII.

so answer should be

•Yes, you can run this code

•This returns 65

in email

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply