More Memory

• Never use task manager to check SQL's memory. It reports incorrect values when SQL is using locked pages.

The page size is not a concern, 8GB is probably what you have it set to be. The 200 MB is not an accurate memory usage for SQL, so no, it is not a concern.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • oh so its the lock pages that skews those results.

what is an accurate way to get how much memory sql is actually using so i can show my boss the memory is being used?

Thanks for all your help.

• Well, not skews results so much as causes task manager to mis-report.

Performance Monitor. Easiest is total server memory under (I think) the SQL Server Memory Manager. You can also go to the process object, find sqlservr.exe and look at all the memory-related counters there.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks I used one of the Dyamic views that I found and it shows 6.5 gigs so we are good. Way to go task manager.

Thanks for all the help

• I will try to test this but have very limited time over the next 2 weeks.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply