More GROUP BY

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item More GROUP BY

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Easy.. Thanks

• Nice question, but awarding points for and titling "Group by" is a big hint, so alternatives without group should be automatically excluded.

Anyway nice question and nice count distinct trick.

• l.vignando (3/24/2016)

Nice question, but awarding points for and titling "Group by" is a big hint, so alternatives without group should be automatically excluded.

Anyway nice question and nice count distinct trick.

Nice question. However, I've seen using the title as a hint produce the wrong result before. Yes, it was a hint here, but not always. 😉

• The explanation excludes the DISTINCT keyword, which might be confusing if you didn't already know the correct answer.

• Interesting question. The wrong answers were obvious. But the right answer I had to think about. I've never constructed a query like that before, using distinct in the HAVING clause's COUNT. I've used it in a simple select COUNT(distinct..., just not with the HAVING part.

• Really, really easy. Thanks, Steve!

• I think with the current data model and lack of constraints you would actually want both.

WHERE Played = 'Rock' OR Played = 'Paper' OR Played = 'Scissors'

GROUP BY Person HAVING COUNT(DISTINCT Played) = 3

but the group by is key to the solution.

• Shouldn't it be COUNT(DISTINCT Played) >= 3, in case some decides to play 'switch kick to the nuts'? 😛

• Nice question, Steve. However, it won't work if the players are playing Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock. 🙂

• Joel Ewald (3/24/2016)

I think with the current data model and lack of constraints you would actually want both.

WHERE Played = 'Rock' OR Played = 'Paper' OR Played = 'Scissors'

GROUP BY Person HAVING COUNT(DISTINCT Played) = 3

but the group by is key to the solution.

Good catch!

• stephen.long.1 (3/24/2016)

Nice question, Steve. However, it won't work if the players are playing Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock. 🙂

I deliberately left that out for another day.

• Good easy way to end the week (wishing it was Friday), but the query would error in all cases:

the table is created as [RPSGame], but the FROM clause references [RPSGames]. Too bad/so sad.

So ha! I caught the trick!

Mark
    Just a cog in the wheel.

• starunit (3/24/2016)

Good easy way to end the week (wishing it was Friday), but the query would error in all cases:

the table is created as [RPSGame], but the FROM clause references [RPSGames]. Too bad/so sad.

So ha! I caught the trick!

Thanks. Corrected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply