Monthly Trend Calculation

• I tried below combining it into three CTE but still no luck 🙁

WITH Cnt AS (

select Count(Distinct UserID) as Entitled_Users, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.WhenAddedToGroup),MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup),1) as When_Added_To_Group

from HVDMembership t

where FirstName not like '%test%' and LastName not like '%test%' and FirstName not like '%user%' and LastName not like '%user%' and Account_Disabled not like 'YES' and Obj_Type not like 'NON_USER' and Region not like 'EMEA' and Region not like 'CCLA' and SecGroup IN ('SecurityGroup1', 'SecurityGroup2', 'SecurityGroup3', 'SecurityGroup4')and curr_member like 'yes' and ATTUID is not null and WhenAddedToGroup is not null

Group By DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.WhenAddedToGroup),MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup),1)

)

, Concurrent

as (

SELECT c.EventType, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(c.Event_Date),MONTH(c.Event_Date),1) as Concurrent_Date, MAX(c.MAX_Concurrent_Users) as Peak_Concurrent_Users, c.Hub

FROM vNon_Concurrent_Users c

where c.EventType like 'Broker_Daily_Max_Users' and c.Hub like 'TOK Hub'

group by DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(c.Event_Date),MONTH(c.Event_Date),1), c.Hub, c.EventType

)

, Capacity

as (

select hs.hub, hs.NAME, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(hs.BOOT_TIME),MONTH(hs.BOOT_TIME),1) as Host_Boot_Time,

ROUND(CAST(hs.CPU_CORE_COUNT as FLOAT)*hs.CPU_Hz*count(cast(hs.HOSTID as BIGINT))/800000000,0) as Host_Capacity

from HVD_VPXV_HOSTS as hs WITH (NOLOCK,NOWAIT)

where hs.hub like 'TOK Hub'

group by hs.hub, hs.CPU_CORE_COUNT, hs.CPU_Hz, hs.NAME, hs.BOOT_TIME

)

Select When_Added_To_Group, Entitled_Users, (Select SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users

from Cnt T2

where T2.When_Added_To_Group <=T1.When_Added_To_Group) as Running_Total,

Select Peak_concurrent_users, concurrent_date from Concurrent,

select SUM(Host_Capacity), Host_Boot_Time from Capacity

where When_Added_To_Group=Concurrent_date, When_Added_To_Group=Host_Boot_time

from Cnt T1

• I expanded the code a bit and added more rows to list for month and year as two separate columns

CREATE TABLE #Temp (When_Added_To_Sec_Group DATE , UserID INT)

INSERT #Temp Values ('10/2/2015',1), ('10/1/2015',2), ('11/24/2015',3),

('11/20/2015',4), ('11/18/2015',5), ('12/9/2015',6), ('1/16/2016',7), ('1/27/2016',8),('2/2/2016',9);

WITH Cnt AS(

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT t.UserID) AS Value, MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group) As Mnth, Year(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group) As yr

FROM #Temp t

GROUP BY MONTH(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group), Year(t.When_Added_To_Sec_Group)

)

SELECT t1.yr,t1.mnth, sum(t2.value) as runningSum_perYear

FROM cnt as t1 inner join cnt as t2 on (t2.mnth <=t1.mnth and t2.yr<=t1.yr)

Group by t1.mnth, t1.yr

----------------------------------------------------

• danny.delgado 65386 (12/14/2015)

I tried below combining it into three CTE but still no luck 🙁

WITH Cnt AS (

select Count(Distinct UserID) as Entitled_Users, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(t.WhenAddedToGroup),MONTH(t.WhenAddedToGroup),1) as When_Added_To_Group

from HVDMembership t

where FirstName not like '%test%' and LastName not like '%test%' and FirstName not like '%user%' and LastName not like '%user%' and Account_Disabled not like 'YES' and Obj_Type not like 'NON_USER' and Region not like 'EMEA' and Region not like 'CCLA' and SecGroup IN ('SecurityGroup1', 'SecurityGroup2', 'SecurityGroup3', 'SecurityGroup4')and curr_member like 'yes' and ATTUID is not null and WhenAddedToGroup is not null

)

, Concurrent

as (

SELECT c.EventType, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(c.Event_Date),MONTH(c.Event_Date),1) as Concurrent_Date, MAX(c.MAX_Concurrent_Users) as Peak_Concurrent_Users, c.Hub

group by DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(c.Event_Date),MONTH(c.Event_Date),1), c.Hub, c.EventType

)

, Capacity

as (

select hs.hub, hs.NAME, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(hs.BOOT_TIME),MONTH(hs.BOOT_TIME),1) as Host_Boot_Time,

ROUND(CAST(hs.CPU_CORE_COUNT as FLOAT)*hs.CPU_Hz*count(cast(hs.HOSTID as BIGINT))/800000000,0) as Host_Capacity

)

Select When_Added_To_Group, Entitled_Users, (Select SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users

from Cnt T2

from Cnt T1

When you say no luck, what exactly are you encountering. I understood the DATEFROMPARTS function is not in 2008 version. Is this what you mean?

----------------------------------------------------

• I got lost here

from Cnt T2

from Cnt T1

To me this makes no sense.... But i'm not that bright so maybe some one can explain this to me. It appears you have nested?? queries inside the select of your final select query? I don't see how your joining these together. for one result set. it looks like a mis-match of result sets.

***SQL born on date Spring 2013:-)

• Hi Thomas,

I think my syntax/logic in not correct that is why it's confusing...Apologies as I am not that expert on CTE's so hoping for your kind help...

The query below is to get the Peak number of users from Concurrent CTE...

Select Peak_concurrent_users, concurrent_date from Concurrent

The query below is to SUM the total_Host capacity which I am hoping to query from Capacity CTE...

I guess my syntax/logic is wrong...Appreciate if you can help. Thanks in advance.

• Hi Danny,

It appears that you are mixing 3 queries with nothing in common at the bottom. You need some common element that they can join together on. If not they need to be 3 separate queries or datasets for your report. What are you trying to achieve as your end goal? Can you mock up a quick dummy result set of columns and rows?

• MS SQL version is 2012 SP1....Below are some of the errors I encountered...

Incorrect Syntax near the keyword Select...

Incorrect Syntax near ','

I tried the below query and i got the error

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'where'

from Cnt T2

Peak_Users = (Select Peak_concurrent_users from Concurrent),

ConcurrentDate = (Select concurrent_date from Concurrent),

HostCapacity = (select SUM(Host_Capacity) from Capacity),

HostBootTime = (select Host_Boot_Time from Capacity),

from Cnt T1

Hope my description makes sense...Thanks.

• What are you actually trying to achieve ?

The query is only partly formed and will never work the way it is.

Your syntax errors are due to having commas where there should be no commas and incorrect order of statements.

Select

When_Added_To_Group,

Entitled_Users,

(Select SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users from Cnt T2 where T2.When_Added_To_Group <=T1.When_Added_To_Group) as Running_Total,

Peak_Users = (Select Peak_concurrent_users from Concurrent),

ConcurrentDate = (Select concurrent_date from Concurrent),

HostCapacity = (select SUM(Host_Capacity) from Capacity),

HostBootTime = (select Host_Boot_Time from Capacity), --this comma should not be here

from Cnt T1 --from MUST be before the where statement

where

When_Added_To_Group=Concurrent_date, --this comma needs to be AND or OR

When_Added_To_Group=Host_Boot_time

• I have no idea if this will even work. If your training this many CTE's together there probably is a better way.

WITH Cnt AS (

from HVDMembership t

)

, Concurrent

as (

)

, Capacity

as (

)

Select When_Added_To_Group, Entitled_Users, SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users, Peak_concurrent_users ,SUM(Host_Capacity)

from Cnt T2

INNER JOIN Cnt t1 on T2.When_Added_To_Group <=T1.When_Added_To_Group

INNER JOIN Concurrent Crnt ON crnt.Concurrent_Date = t1.When_Added_To_Group

INNER JOIN Capacity Cp ON cp.Host_Boot_Time = t1.When_Added_To_Group

GROUP BY t1.When_Added_To_Group

• Hi Thomas,

after the CTE's I tried the below query and it seems to be working...

Select cu.Hub, cu.Concurrent_Date, Entitled_Users, cu.Peak_Concurrent_Users, (Select SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users

from Cnt T2

where T2.When_Added_To_Group <=t1.When_Added_To_Group) as Entitlement_Running_Total

from Cnt T1

INNER JOIN Concurrent cu on cu.Concurrent_Date=t1.When_Added_To_Group

group by cu.Concurrent_Date, cu.Hub, Entitled_Users, cu.Peak_Concurrent_Users, t1.When_Added_To_Group

order by cu.Concurrent_Date desc

Below are few example of the output...

Hub|Concurrent_Date|Entitled_Users|Peak_Concurrent_Users|Entitlement_Running_Total

Hub1|1/12/2015 12:00 AM|207|112|526

Hub1|1/11/2015 12:00 AM|20|124|319

Hub1|1/10/2015 12:00 AM|7|112|299

Hub1|1/09/2015 12:00 AM|30|85|292

now I am trying to add the capacity CTE to the rest fo the CTE's but I cannot make the Capacity_Running_Total....

,Capacity AS (

select hs.hub as Hub, hs.NAME, DATEFROMPARTS(YEAR(hs.BOOT_TIME),MONTH(hs.BOOT_TIME),1) as Host_Boot_Time,

)

Select cu.Hub, cu.Concurrent_Date, Entitled_Users, cu.Peak_Concurrent_Users, SUM(cap.Host_Capacity) as Hub_Capacity, (Select SUM(t2.Entitled_Users) as Entitled_Users

from Cnt T2

where T2.When_Added_To_Group <=t1.When_Added_To_Group) as Entitlement_Running_Total

from Cnt T1

INNER JOIN Concurrent cu on cu.Concurrent_Date=t1.When_Added_To_Group

INNER JOIN Capacity cap on cap.Hub=cu.Hub

group by cu.Concurrent_Date, cu.Hub, Entitled_Users, cu.Peak_Concurrent_Users, t1.When_Added_To_Group

order by cu.Concurrent_Date desc

And the output is something like this...You will notice that the value of Hub_Capacity is "always" 442 for each month...Hub_Capacity will depend if the HOSTS/Server is online/powered ON or was shutdown for Maintenance or if new HOST/Server is added to the existing capacity....The column hs.BOOT_TIME will show when the HOST/Server is powered ON/added to the capacity...hs.Boot_Time is almost similar to the When_Added_To_Group column...

Hub|Concurrent_Date|Entitled_Users|Peak_Concurrent_Users|Entitlement_Running_Total|Hub_Capacity

Hub1|1/12/2015 12:00 AM|207|112|526|442

Hub1|1/11/2015 12:00 AM|20|124|319|442

Hub1|1/10/2015 12:00 AM|7|112|299|442

Hub1|1/09/2015 12:00 AM|30|85|292|442

Since the HOSTS/Server is not powered ON/Not added every Month I used the Hub Column to join it to the rest of the CTE's...I am not sure whether I need to use hs.BOOT_TIME Column or Hub Column...

Below is the output I am hoping to get where the Hub_Capacity column will reflect the value when a new HOST is powered ON or added to the capacity or HOST is shutdown for maintenance...you will notice the value of the Hub_Capacity is not always 442....

Hub|Concurrent_Date|Entitled_Users|Peak_Concurrent_Users|Entitlement_Running_Total|Hub_Capacity

Hub1|1/12/2015 12:00 AM|207|112|526|442

Hub1|1/11/2015 12:00 AM|20|124|319|376

Hub1|1/10/2015 12:00 AM|7|112|299|348

Hub1|1/09/2015 12:00 AM|30|85|292|282

Thanks in advance 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply