Monthly Partitioning issue a number of months missed

• I've joined a new company and have noticed that a scheduled partition creation job hasnt been running for the past few months.

We now have 6 months' worth of data(it should be monthly) in the last partition. My question is to avoid having to move data can we just create a new partition from the start of next month and move on? They currently don't switch out the partitions for archiving or anything they just live in the DB on a table partitioned.

I would like to start archiving on a monthly basis retaining maybe 2 years in the active DB. When I get to the point of hitting this large partition I'll delay any switch until we no longer need that data in the table and move out the 6 months in one hit.

Is this in any way a sensible approach or should I just bite the bullet and start trying to retrospectively fix the issue to bring it all to a good monthly partitioned state before doing the archiving process?

Any thoughts?

• Eeasiest would be to start adding a partition for the new month and go from there on.

You'll need to handle the 6-month partition adequately in your cleanup process. ( Leave the rows until actually all rows of this 6-month partition can be switched out, to avoid log-overhead [for row deletes] )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks, Johan,

That was my preference. We need to implement processes but I don't think the effort is going to be worth splitting this one and we'll address the large partition as you've said

Appreciate your response

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply