Monthly contest

• I post answers if I think I can help someone or contribute to a discussion.  I have asked questions if I thought someone could help me.  Points aren't a factor. 

On the other hand giving points for writing scripts, FAQ, articles, QOD may encourage me to contribute in this way. 

Botton line I think forum posting should not contribute in any way to point standing.  If at some point we find that questions seldom get answered and we aren't helping each other anymore then maybe look at some method of assigning points to posting as an encouragement.  I'd like to think that most of us are willing to help each other assuming we can just because.  The only encouragement we may need is to contributing items of more effort - articles, QODs etc. 

Francis

• Upon further thought, I agree with this last statement - I don't think that posting to the forums should contribute points to a person's total at all. It's obvious that the forums aren't lacking in participation, which is really want the point system is trying to encourage. It would benefit the site much more if people would contribute QODs, FAQs, and such. I've noticed a lot of griping about the poor wording of recent QOD's, and if the site admins had more than one choice every day, that probably wouldn't be as much a factor, since they could choose quality questions. Also (no offense to you, Frank) - by viewing the standings, it obvious to see how quickly somebody could run away with points by posting on a lot of threads. More times than not, with something good to contribute, but I still think that forum posts shouldn't be a factor in points.

Ryan

• I see the competition as maybe diluting the value of the site whereby answers given to posts are placed with no real attempt to answer the question. ( as can sometimes be seen on other sites ) 

This site is very important to me a source of information, even if I don't post very often !!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Frank et al...

I can see I was a bit misunderstood...I think the original poster should be able to mark the post that was helpful/expert in solving their issue. I didn't mean the poster could only mark ONE post.

Let's say I have a problem. A couple of people respond, but only Frank solves my problem. I give Frank a star. Now Steve posts a solution that improves on Frank's. It helps me even better, so I give Steve a star. Now both Frank and Steve have a star in my thread. Both get one point. But the issue is that I decided who helped me. How can anyone else decide what is or isn't a good solution for MY issue?

-SQLBill

• Brian Knight,

I reject the prize from last month contest!

May you please inform Anthony from logpi of my decision!

Feel free to give the prize to someone else. I would suggest noeld, he tried hard to get it.

And let me add that I am seriously disappointed that neither Andy, nor you or Steve have considered yet to reply to this thread.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• I'll come right out and say that I think the quality of answers declined markedly since the contests started.  I essentially stopped posting once the quantity over quality motivation became clear.  I don't mind occasionally correcting answers, but I didn't want to spend all my time doing that...  I'm not Joe Celko. 

It's those asking questions who suffer the most; they're receiving rapid and numerous answers, many of which are poor.   Those of us who try and learn from the answers to other's questions are also ill-served, and I seldom check the forums now. 

--Jonathan

• Frank,

I didn't posted on the forums for the price, you can keep it. I think that it was a great learning experience for me! and I value that more than any points or prices that the site is giving.

Don't get me wrong I believe that all incentives to keep an active site are OK, I just think that it should be done for the benefit of the comunity.

I was able to post more on the last moth due to lower demands on my job but definetly that is not going to happen any time soon again. I do believe that fairness should be taken into account to maintain the quality of the answers.

When someone replies to a post is not only helping somebody else is also helping him/her self and there is nothing that can replace that.

Just my $0.02

* Noel

• Bill, I think this is one of the bests solutions so far. If someone likes your answer, they give you a star or point. We show those in your signature as well.

The problem I'm having as the creator of the contest is automating the monitoring of posts. I think we have a great handle on the FAQ, Scripts and Articles. Those who provide quality content, receive 4 or 5 stars, which translates into mega-points. For example the DBA strategy article that was written this week propelled that individual into a lead from just one article. It was all due to people thinking he had a kick butt useful article though.

• The main thing to keep in mind also in this is that the contest can't typically be won by forum posting alone (as you can see with the existing contest). I agree, we should lower the points in the forum posts. My goal was just to reward those of you who spend your valuable time in the forums. You're providing an excellent service in whole to this community.

It takes programming but maybe our angle is to have checkboxes against each reply (except for the original authors') that say "This Answered My Question". If the asker of the question checks up to a given amount of answers (maybe 3) in that thread it could pin the posts (by copying) to the top of the thread under the answer. This would provide others looking for answers a quick way to find the answer to their questions when they're casually looking through the thread. It would also reward those that answer the question.

The hardest thing is automation. Once you try to automate anything like this, you throw out a perfect solution. Since there are nearly 1,000 posts weekly, no one except maybe the person asking the questions can look at each post to determine if it's useful or not.

PS: I'd hate to lower the points in mid contest since it's like changing the rules in mid-stream.

• A lot of irritations could have been avoided, if you had posted a 'What do you think on a monthly contest?' thread prior to establishing it actually.

Not to make up your decisions, but after all isn't that what a community is for? To discuss?

I'm curious what you will implement.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Brian,

I can understand you not wanting to lower points 'mid-stream'. However, the contest ends and begins anew each month. There is nothing wrong with getting all the input you can during THIS month and then making any changes with the beginning of the new contest. Each time you 'restart' the contest, I have seen notice of it in the emailed newsletter and on the site. You could include "Notice of change in points" and give a short description of the change.

Remember, nothing is perfect. If it was you wouldn't be asking for (or getting) suggestions for improvement (you also wouldn't be getting gripes). Change IS good. It shows that improvement is being attempted (sometimes change does make things worse - but that can be changed ).

As you say, using posts for points is really tough to manage. So drop it. Let's leave the posts for what they are meant for...to find solutions to issues. If someone posts a really outstanding solution, we can tell the poster to submit it as a script/faq/whatever. I know that I've requested posters to do that in the past. Then they can get points for their solution.

Just a suggestion. I still feel you all are doing great work with this site.

-SQLBill

• Now, that's a true word!

Posts in the fora surely should help the questioners. But mostly they are quickly typed (good and bad). Now writing articles (at least good ones) is far more ambitious. So is writing a good FAQ or Script. And only those should be rewarded. Posting in the fora could be considered altruistic or profiling for some obscure higher virtual fame whichever is more appropriate.

Why not let the people decide?

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply