Monitoring SQL Server Systems

• Let's just say we don't see eye to eye.  Having commuted from Colorado Springs to Denver for 15 years, I never really had time to get my MCDBA,  He has his, and I think I have more knowledge and skills.  I have made the effort to learn SQL Server 2005 on my own time, having gone out and purchased the DE for $50.  Best investment I have made.  I haven't had time to automate things I would like, and I haven't learned much about setting up traces and such, though I would love to know what some of you all do and how to add to my own toolkit of skills.

I consider myself both a development and production DBA.  I help support the SQL side of our PeopleSoft systems, the home grown data interchange mart, our Data Mart, plus working on our new Date Warehouse project (here is the development side).  Wearing both hats makes it a little difficult to focus on just one aspect or the other.

• Lynn,

That is just it... it's a difference between those who make the effort to learn new things and those who just want to coast along.  I will admit that while being in government, I was guilty of cruising and not running with the opportunities presented to me.  I've learnt that lesson and make the effort count for something now.

I don't have an MCDBA and I have no interest in getting one because it's just another piece of paper that has no meaning to me and doesn't necessarily make me a better DBA.  What it does say to me though is that it would make me a better parrot for answering some of those ridiculously long-winded questions that Microsoft like to throw out there.  The thought of putting all that work in for the certification to run out after a couple of years seems to be wasted effort in my eyes.

I have a degree from a univeristy though but don't ask me where it is - I put it somewhere years ago.  At least it's safe, I guess   All that work just to get a foot in the door of a company and I have used exactly *none* of the coding languages that I learned there in my professional career.

I say that you're doing all the right things: treating every opportunity like it's the make-or-break deal.  I also like to put little signs around the place to help me... they say: "Don't get distracted!"

Distracted from what?  Distracted from becoming a damn good DBA

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• I have my degrees too (BS in Computer Science and Business Administration, MA in Computer Information Resource Management and Space Systems Management (Outer Space, by the way)). 

Academia was good, but your right about not using what your taught.  Learned all about structured coding and what did I support for 11 years, spagetti COBOL. 

The system supported a $25+ million/year part of a large corporation, and it was nothing but band-aids, duct tape, and chewing gum.  Part of the system will fail after May 17th of this year, and that could have been avoided had my boss listened to me 4 or 5 years ago when I discovered the ticking time bomb and put together a plan to correct the problem.  I was told that it wasn't an issue and we would be off the system before then.  Well, it's almost May 17th and they are still on the system.  Only two people who really know the system and could fix it, don't work there any more.  I was canned 2 years ago, and the individual, I managed to still away to where I work now about 5 months ago.

Can't wait to see what happens starting May 18th.  Good thing we both know people still working there and can find out what is going on.

• You serious about the (Outer) Space Systems Management?  Wow - that must have been a tough one for which to qualify to study.

As for the company and the dodgy system - seeing everything fall down and go *boom* when they were warned (and provided that you're not the sysprog who needs to fix it) are just one of the perks of being in IT

I use to crack off about the stupidity of people until a mate corrected me. 

He said: "You cannot accuse anyone of stupidity when they don't know something.  It's not really ignorance and it can't be a lack of common sense.  Sometimes there are things that people just don't know.  BUT - once they have been informed and they then choose to ignore that knowledge and common sense - THEN you can call them 'stupid'"

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• I had hoped getting the MA with Space Systems Management would help open doors back down in the Springs in the early 90's, it didn't and that is why I ended up with a 40,000+ mile/yr commute for 15 years.  As for qualifying, not really.  I don't remember much from that aspect of the degree program, but I can say it was extremly interesting while I was doing it.

As for the system at my old company; they were warned, and I even had put together the plan to correct the issue 4 years ago.  You know what they say about hindsight, it is always 20/20.  I just would like to be a fly on the wall when things start falling apart.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply