Monitoring SQL Server 2005 and Hardware with SNMP

• We want to move from "look at it each day" monitoring to something a bit more comprehensive. I believe the direction I'd like to go is with an SNMP monitoring package or component that I can build into a VB application.

What are folks using? I've seen mention on this site of free tools that work with Dell or HP servers, but I'm looking for something more generic, some of our servers are SuperMicro. But I'd really like to build or buy one comprehensive monitor that can interogate our firewalls, switches, server hardware, windows calls for disk space and memory, etc. Sounds like an SNMP monitor to me, but I want to know what everyone else is using. Specific product experiences would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• We use ipMonitor from SolarWinds[/url] and I love it. It supports a ton of different monitoring methods besides SNMP and you can create really nice custom reports.

If you're cheap you can also try Spiceworks[/url].

Kendal Van Dyke
    http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/[/url]

• I'm trying to do the same type thing, however what I've found so far would seem to indicate that you cannot monitor sql 2005 through snmp. There is no MIB file for sql 2005.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply