Monitoring DBs

• We currently run in an environment that includes SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008. I'm looking for an easy to use monitoring tool that will be able to help keep an eye on our servers.

Any suggestions? If possible include why you suggest and a license cost...Thanks!!

• What are you looking to monitor? There's a whole range of things here.

sqlSentry has a good performance monitoring tool.

Quest has some tools, can be expensive

Idera has a variety of tools I haven't used.

Servers Alive - low end monitoring

• checkai (11/12/2008)

We currently run in an environment that includes SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008. I'm looking for an easy to use monitoring tool that will be able to help keep an eye on our servers.

Any suggestions? If possible include why you suggest and a license cost...Thanks!!

If you just want to keep an eye on the servers, so things like maint plan errors and server log errors why dont you just write a .dtsx package?

I have one, quite simple, it feeds off a db with a table of servers and then queries the servers (all must have linked servers setup) and returns the data. It then uses SQL mail to send the data to an email address.

Any good? 😀

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Idera's Diagnostic Manager has a lot of useful features. i used it at my last place to track down long running queries and a whole pile of statistics for troubleshooting. WhatsUpGold is also a good tool for monitoring even though it's not a SQL tool, more of a network & server tool.

Best idea is to go to Idera, Redgate, Quest websites and look at what they offer. Call them up, Get trial versions of their software, and get real quotes from them. SQL Server magazine has reviews sometimes. I could tell you what I paid for something, but most likely my info is out of date.

• If you want to exclude SQL 2000 and a free edition then you can use Performance Monitoring from MS, this is usefull for a start and gives u some detail information about your servers 😀

• Thanks for the replies. I definitely am interested in alerting on poor performing queries and blocking. We have our time and billing system that needs to be kept an eye on frequently and many times our answer is to run a trace when things are going poorly...which only adds to bad performance. So a low impact tool would be great.

• I've just looked at the four main tools in this software market. IMHO Sql DM from Idera is the best. Performance Advisor from Sql Sentry is the next best tool. Each will give you an eval license so download and play with them. Idera.com and SqlSentry.net for the down load.

David

• Thanks, I'll check these out!

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/12/2008)

...Servers Alive - low end monitoring

Heh, all things considered, I would rather not have my low-end monitored.

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• rbarryyoung (11/12/2008)

Steve Jones - Editor (11/12/2008)

Heh, all things considered, I would rather not have my low-end monitored.

😀

Crude'ness :rolleyes:

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply