Monitor how many users connected to a particular database

• Hi,

I want use profiler to monitor the no.of users connected a database mydb and how frequent they are connecting and from which application the users coming. We have an Application users (created as a login. eg abc) and this user always connects to the database mydb. Inside Mydb, there is table called 'Users' and from application, the application admin creates users eg. Scott and gives permission to Scott to connect to the application. If user Scott connects to the Application, actually he Invokes the login abc and connect to Mydb and get authenticated and then he will get application access.

What events exactly I need to select inside the trace to know users who connected to the database Mydb like Scott. Here I'm able to see always the login abc but not the user Scott. Can we detect that users like scott or no?

Thanks

• With sp_who2, I did not see any login connected to any database other than MASTER database

Sp-who2 active:

180 RUNNABLE abc\mssqladmin

1 sleeping sa

2 BACKGROUND sa

3 BACKGROUND sa

4 BACKGROUND sa

5 BACKGROUND sa

6 BACKGROUND sa

8 BACKGROUND sa

9 BACKGROUND sa

10 BACKGROUND sa

11 BACKGROUND sa

12 BACKGROUND sa

13 BACKGROUND sa

14 BACKGROUND sa

By running sp_who2, I'm able to see only one login abc but not users like scott (who actually logins from application & connects to mydb via the login abc and get authenticated to use the application)

sp_who2:

1 sleeping sa

2 BACKGROUND sa

3 BACKGROUND sa

4 BACKGROUND sa

5 BACKGROUND sa

6 BACKGROUND sa

7 sleeping sa

8 BACKGROUND sa

9 BACKGROUND sa

10 BACKGROUND sa

11 BACKGROUND sa

12 BACKGROUND sa

13 BACKGROUND sa

14 BACKGROUND sa

51 sleeping NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

52 sleeping NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

54 sleeping abc

55 sleeping abc

56 sleeping abc

57 sleeping abc

58 sleeping abc

59 sleeping abc

60 sleeping abc

61 sleeping abc

62 sleeping abc

63 sleeping abc

64 sleeping abc

. . .

. . .

. . .

179 sleeping abc

180 RUNNABLE abc\mssqladmin

181 sleeping abc

182 sleeping abc

184 sleeping abc

185 sleeping abc

186 sleeping abc\mssqladmin

187 sleeping abc

Thanks

• So if I understand you correctly, you have a single sql login that the application connects to the database with (abc) and then the application has its own level of security? In this case profiler will only be able to pick up the sql logins as it doesn't know about the application level security. However, if the application security is accessed via a stored procedure, you may be able to trace when this runs to work out who is accessing the database

• you should collect audit login and logout event. also check the security audit event.

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply