Monitor file growth - a better way for sp_spaceused

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Monitor file growth - a better way for sp_spaceused

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• Looks good but how do you go about getting the same information for all databases on a SQL instance.

i.e I'm trying to check when a database is about to auto-extend and I just want the available space for DB1, DB2 etc.

The USE command doesnt seem to permit the construct

USE @dbName. You have to implicitly specify the database i.e USE "DB1"

KR

Ian

• Sorry about the late reply, was swamped at work. 🙂

One way to do it for each database is either the undocumented sp_msforeachdb feature or roll it into a loop. You can use cursors but I personally don't use them much. Here is a non-cursor version:

declare @db_list table (dbname sysname)

declare @dbname sysname, @query varchar(8000)

insert @db_list(dbname)

select name from sys.databases

where name not in ('tempdb', 'master', 'msdb', 'model') -- feel free to change as needed

order by name asc

while (select count(*) from @db_list) > 0 -- one way to iterate, the list is small enough that this will have no impact

begin

select top 1 @dbname = dbname from @db_list

select @query = 'use ' + quotename(@dbname) + '; INSERT THE NEW SP_SPACEUSED SCRIPT HERE'

exec(@query)

delete from @db_list where dbname = @dbname

end

Hope this helps and good luck.

Gaby A.

Toronto, ON

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply