Monitor Database Growth and Usage

• quackhandle1975 (1/18/2015)

Hi Wilem,

I like your script and plan to test it on a few VM SQL instances but how different is your script to say Data Collector?

Rgds,

qh

Hi qh,

Good question! I do not currently have the answer and will look into Data Collector in the - hopefully near - future..

Be back..

Willem

• Good article. I am looking to use this on my work environment as part of a solution to monitor growth.

I followed all the steps and the job runs without errors. Only the empty table dbo.dbspace was created.

When i run the .ps1 script from PS Command line it does populate the table. I am just having issues running it from the SQL Agent job:

I used this in the Job Step Properties:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy ByPass -File "C:\Monitoring\Record_Device_Usage_ps1.ps1"

Any advise on what i might be missing? First time i call a Powershell script from SQL Agent job.

• SeaTiger (2/3/2015)

Good article. I am looking to use this on my work environment as part of a solution to monitor growth.

I followed all the steps and the job runs without errors. Only the empty table dbo.dbspace was created.

When i run the .ps1 script from PS Command line it does populate the table. I am just having issues running it from the SQL Agent job:

I used this in the Job Step Properties:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy ByPass -File "C:\Monitoring\Record_Device_Usage_ps1.ps1"

Any advise on what i might be missing? First time i call a Powershell script from SQL Agent job.

Hi,

Did you try running it the way I suggested in the article?

In a SQL Agent job step, for Type choose Operating system (CmdExec) and in the Command windows type:

powershell.exe -command "& 'd:\monitoring\record_device_usage.ps1'"

(or any other path you are using).

Make sure you use both the double and the single quotes..

• Yes i did. It does run as a success on the Job now but i dont get the table populated yet.

I get something like this on the log

CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [Invoke-Sqlcmd], ParserExceptio n + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Ma nagement.PowerShell.GetScriptCommandInvoke-Sqlcmd : Cannot validate

• SeaTiger (2/9/2015)

Yes i did. It does run as a success on the Job now but i dont get the table populated yet.

I get something like this on the log

CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [Invoke-Sqlcmd], ParserExceptio n + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Ma nagement.PowerShell.GetScriptCommandInvoke-Sqlcmd : Cannot validate

Mm, maybe we can discuss this outside the forum, because it seems very specific to your situation. Can you send me an email or a private message?

You can find my profile on the 'Authors' page, then click on 'SQLServerCentral.com profile' beneath my name and send me a message.

It would interest me to see the part (now missing in your quote) behind 'Cannot validate'. And also to know whether the exact same command you now try to execute from within SQL Server Agent, does work ok if you run it from the PowerShell command line.

• Willem G (1/23/2015)

quackhandle1975 (1/18/2015)

Hi Wilem,

I like your script and plan to test it on a few VM SQL instances but how different is your script to say Data Collector?

Rgds,

qh

SQL Data Collection Sets is a very useful tool but it serves a much broader purpose than just monitoring database data and file growth.

With some additional configuration you can limit its usage to just that aspect. In that case, however, I would prefer a solution like my script because it is easier to implement and offers more in the way of reporting options and the added bonus of email alerts.

If you have a need for the more extended monitoring options of Data Collection Sets, and include disk and database usage (which it offers by default), then that seems a perfectly sensible option to me.

• Cheers for the reply, yes email alerts are very useful!

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • I really like the idea of this script, and see value for it in my environment. Is there a suggestion you can make to alter the trigger of a message being sent to only do so upon a change in size +/- 100MB?

Also, is there a good way to determine which servers are unable to poll successfully (due to connectivity or otherwise) when using a server list?

• bdmelvil (4/9/2015)

I really like the idea of this script, and see value for it in my environment. Is there a suggestion you can make to alter the trigger of a message being sent to only do so upon a change in size +/- 100MB?

Also, is there a good way to determine which servers are unable to poll successfully (due to connectivity or otherwise) when using a server list?

1) Yes, that is easy: add a 'where' clause to cre_sp_Mail_DB_Sizediffs.sql. For example, if you only want to see changes (increases and decreases) of more than 100 MB, add a where clause just after this line:

FROM [tempdb].[dbo].[DB_Dev_Sizediff]

Add (for example):

WHERE (MB_Growth > 100 OR MB_Growth < -100)

2) In another script I posted a while ago, I used a function in PS to check connectivity to a server

( for the whole post, see http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Backup/112463/ ).

I did not test it for this script, but it for an idea:

Create the function somewhere at the top of the PS script. The function code is:

# === Function to check whether we can connect to a SQL server ===

function CheckServerConnection {

Try {

Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance ($Server.Name) -Query "SELECT @@SERVERNAME" -ConnectionTimeout 1 `

-ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

return 1

}

Catch {

"ERROR: SQL connection to server '" +$Server.Name+ "' failed; server will be skipped."

return -1

}

}

# ======================

Then, replace these lines in the script (sorry about the layout, did not have time to fix it in the post..):

ForEach ($Server in $ServerList | where {$_.Server_Name -ne ''}) {

$SQL = "SELECT '" +$Server.Server_Name+ "' AS 'Server_Name',

[name] AS 'Database_Name'

FROM master.sys.databases

WHERE state = 0 ;"

$ServerDBList += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance $Server.Server_Name –Query "$SQL"

}

BY:

$ConnectionCheck = CheckServerConnection "$Server.Server_Name"

if ($ConnectionCheck -eq 1) {

WHERE state = 0 ;"

$ServerDBList += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance $Server.Server_Name –Query "$SQL"

}

}

Try that, and let me know in case you run into problems.

• Wow man, thanks. Really appreciate the detailed assistance. I'll give this a shot shortly and let you know what happens.

• So the edit to the SP worked great.

The edit to the PS script is giving an error now. I edited the section you specified like this (the bolded section being the addition)

# Create list of online databases per server

$ServerDBList = @()

WHERE state = 0 ;"

}

}

The error I receive is:

Invoke-Sqlcmd :

At C:\Users\username\PowerShell\SQL Trend Analysis\Record_Device_Usage.ps1:140 char:19

+ $LogSpaceTMP += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance ($row.Server_Name) –Query "$SQL"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [Invoke-Sqlcmd], ParserException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionFailureException,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.GetScriptCommand

The function piece is at the top of the script right after the "User Defined Parameters" section and right before the "Start Work" section. (Again bolded my additions)

Looks like this:

# If $SendMail=1, a mail alert is sent when changes in database device sizes were found, or devices were added/deleted.

$SendMail = 1

Try {

Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance ($Server.Name) -Query "SELECT @@SERVERNAME" -ConnectionTimeout 1 `

return 1

}

Catch {

"ERROR: SQL connection to server '" +$Server.Name+ "' failed; server will be skipped."

return -1

}

}

# ======================

### ===== START WORK ===== ###

Import-Module SQLPS -DisableNameChecking

Thanks for your assistance in getting this going.

• bdmelvil (4/10/2015)

So the edit to the SP worked great.

The edit to the PS script is giving an error now. I edited the section you specified like this (the bolded section being the addition)

Give me a few days (weekend has started her in Europe..), I'll have to run a test myself and get back to you.

• I've modified the PS script, and I think pretty much have what I'm looking for. I used your 'SQLRestorer' script as a reference.

So now I have a function statement following 'Import-Module SQLPS' that looks like this:

Try {

Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance ($Server.Server_Name) -Query "SELECT @@SERVERNAME" -ConnectionTimeout 1 `

return 1

}

Catch {

"ERROR: SQL connection to server '" +$Server.Server_Name+ "' failed; server will be skipped. `r`n" `

| Out-File $LogFile -Append

return -1

}

}

# ======================

and a call to that function directly following the import of the server list:

# Determine which server(s) to query

if ($ServerFile) {

# retrieve server names from text file

$ServerList = Import-Csv -Header Server_Name $ServerFile

}

else {

# or run in standalone mode

$ServerList = @{Server_Name=$SqlHost}

}

}

}

My issue now is I'm receiving an error in two sections that I didn't modify at all (at least I don't see where I did, if I did)

Error:

Invoke-Sqlcmd : Line 4: Incorrect syntax near ';'.

At C:\Users\BDMelvil\PowerShell\SQL Trend Analysis\Record_Device_Usage.ps1:137 char:20

+ $ServerDBList += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance $Server.Server_Name –Query "$SQ ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-Sqlcmd], SqlPowerShellSqlExecutionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SqlError,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.GetScriptCommand

Invoke-Sqlcmd : Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ';'.

At C:\Users\BDMelvil\PowerShell\SQL Trend Analysis\Record_Device_Usage.ps1:145 char:19

+ $LogSpaceTMP += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance ($row.Server_Name) –Query "$SQL"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-Sqlcmd], SqlPowerShellSqlExecutionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SqlError,Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PowerShell.GetScriptCommand

Lines that are referenced:

# Create list of online databases per server

$ServerDBList = @()

WHERE state = 0 ;"

137: $ServerDBList += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance $Server.Server_Name –Query "$SQL"

}

# Record details of log devices per server

$LogSpace = @()

ForEach ($row in $ServerList | where {$_.Server_Name -ne ''}) {

$SQL = "DBCC sqlperf(logspace) WITH NO_INFOMSGS;"

$LogSpaceTMP = @()

145: $LogSpaceTMP += Invoke-Sqlcmd –ServerInstance ($row.Server_Name) –Query "$SQL"

$LogSpaceTMP | Add-Member -type NoteProperty -name Server_Name -Value $row.Server_Name

$LogSpace += $LogSpaceTMP

}

The script seems to run completely despite the errors, but I'm curious what is causing them.

• My issue now is I'm receiving an error in two sections that I didn't modify at all (at least I don't see where I did, if I did)

The changed code, i.e. with the connection check function added, works like a charm on my server. Invoke-sqlcmd appears no longer to understand the semicolon command terminator ("Incorrect syntax near ';' "). Could sth have gone wrong with the quotes/double quotes in the copy process?

I posted the versions I just used below, perhaps you can give it another try?

Try {

Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance ($Server.Name) -Query "SELECT @@SERVERNAME" -ConnectionTimeout 1 -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

return 1

}

Catch {

return -1

}

}

$SQL = "SELECT '" +$Server.Server_Name+ "' AS 'Server_Name', [name] AS 'Database_Name' FROM master.sys.databases WHERE state = 0 ;"

}

}

• I'm still receiving the same error, but I'm able to get what I needed from the script. I'll keep working at it. Thanks for your assistance with this and the excellent script.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply