MOM access to SQL Servers

• Hi everybody

Our Operations team monitors servers (including our SQL Servers) with MOM 2005. There is a login on each of our SQL Servers (a mix of 2000 and 2005 servers) for a domain account which we'll call OurDomain\MOMService. I'm concerned that this is a member of the sysadmin server role on all the servers, but I can't find anything on Microsoft or any of the blogs that tells me what access it requires to the servers. Does anyone out there know what server role(s) the login should be in, and what access, if any, it requires to the databases?

Thanks in advance

John

• I don't know for sure, but if I remember correctly this acount must be sysadmin or at least very close to that.

The reason if that the MOM agent needs to execute certain system procedures and views which only sysadmins have permissions for. One example is sp_readerrorlog.

Just make sure that the account has a secure password.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I think these are the rights that is needed. Please dont quote me on it. I could be wrong

On Windows Server 2003, the Action Account must have the following minimum privileges:

Member of the Local Users Group

Member of the Local Performance Monitor Users group

Access to Windows Event logs

Manage auditing and security log privilege (SeSecurityPrivilege)

Generate security audits privilege (SeAuditPrivilege)

Allow log on locally logon right (SeInteractiveLogonRight)

-Roy

• Thanks, guys. I was really only interested in SQL Server permissions, so what Markus says sounds like what I need. Can anyone else confirm or deny it at all?

Cheers

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply