Modify Send Mail Task in SSIS package

• Hi,

We had a developer that passed away unexpectedly and now I need to modify all the SSIS packages that he made to change the email that is being sent to his account.  I apologize in advance, I have very little experience with SSIS.  I have Visual Studio on my test server so I loaded in the a package from our PRD server, open it up and see all the flow.  I assumed I could just open the Send Mail Task and replace his email address with mine, but when I save it, it automatically puts his back in.  I even tried going into the properties window and changing the LoLine value from his email to mine but once I click anywhere, it changes it back. Is there a another to do this a differently?  We don't have Visual Studio on our PRD server so that's why I'm loading the package on my test server and then trying to modify it.  Any help would be appreciated. 🙂  Thank you.

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• It sounds like your SSIS package(s) is using Package Configurations. This is a way to set the values of variables and other elements inside the package during run time. It could be pulling the value in from a database or environment variable, etc. If so, you would only have to update the value in the control location and it should update all through the package(s) next time they run.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/integration-services/lesson-5-add-ssis-package-configurations-for-the-package-deployment-model?view=sql-server-2017

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

• Hi,

Thank you!  I was able to see he was using a package configuration for his email and was able to make the change successfully.  I appreciate your response.  🙂

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Hi,

So I was able to change the email address but struggled on how to deploy the changes to PRD.  The SSIS packages are not stored in the server so there is no catalog database so it fails when I try to right click on the package and click deploy.  What I did was made the changes, saved the project with this package loaded, went to the path that this modified version of the package was and copied that to PRD.  This seems to work ok and I was able to verify that PRD now had the email changed.  But when the SQL job that calls this package ran, it immediately failed with the error:

The version of Script Component is not compatible with this version of the DataFlow.  [[The version or pipeline version or both for the specified component is higher than the current version.  This package was probably created on a new version of DTS or the component than is installed on the current PC.]]

The PRD server where all these packages are stored is running SQL 2016 SP1 +CU5.  The TEST server that has Visual Studio installed where I'm loading the packages into and making the changes is running SQL 2016 SP2.  Is this what is causing this error?  Is there a different way to deploy changes from TST to PRD when the SSIS packages are at the file system level?

Thanks 🙂

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• You can specify the package's Target Server Version. Check out this link:

https://zappysys.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004811573-How-to-change-SSIS-Package-Version-in-Visual-Studio-2015-or-Higher

Please let me know if that helps.

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

• That worked perfectly!  Thank you again. 🙂

Thanks!
    Bea Isabelle

• Terrific! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply