Missing SQL Server Logs

• I have SQL Server installed on 4 different servers. Three of the servers are keeping SQL Server Logs. One of them is not. I have not been able to find out why. Does anyone have an idea of what has happened to the SQL Server Logs for that server?

• What do you mean it's not keeping logs?

A couple of things to check....

1. when it was set up were the logs 'directed' to another drive? Use Enterprise Mangager (EM), right click on the database, select Properties, go to the Log Files tab. Where does it show the log file should be?

2. is the database set for SIMPLE recovery mode? Use EM, right click on the database, select Properties, go to the OPTIONS tab, what is Recovery Mode set for?

-SQLBill

• If you are talking about the SQL Server Error logs, try looking up "Using Startup options" in BOL. There should be an -e parameter specifying the path to the error log file.

For example:

-eC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Log\Errorlog

Try looking in the windows event log for error messages. Would SQL Server start if it didn't have perms to write to the log?

RandyHelpdesk: Perhaps Im not the only one that does not know what you are doing. 😉

• I am refering to the SQL Server error logs. I checked the event logs and information is going there, but there are no SQL Server error logs when I go to Management, SQL Server Logs. I did a search on the drives and found some error logs as C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG but the dates were back in october and november 2002. I can find no recent error logs. Is there any way to reset the error log path? Is it possible to turn off the error log?

• You can change the error log location on "startup parameters" of "SQL Server Properties".

It will be active after restart SQL Server.

• In Enterprise Manager, right click on the SERVER. Select Properties, go the Security tab and check what AUDIT LEVEL is set to...I'll bet it's set at NONE.

-SQLBill

• Excuse me...my last post was wrong.

Is your SQL Server Agent Service running? Is it set to run all the time? The SQL Server error logs require the SQL Server Agent to be running.

-SQLBill

• It is SQL Server Agent Error Log.

• Simon,

Thanks for the location of the error log location parameters. There was no error log specified there. I will take care that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply