Missing objects in full database backup

• Hi!

I'm doing a full db backup, but when I try to restore that on a another machine I'm missing views, tables and some colums in some tables. Why does the backup exclude some objects??

Btv the machines have sql server 2000 sp3(backup) and sql server 2000 sp4(restore).

• I've never seen this behavior.  In fact, I can't imagine how it could even happen.  Are you absolutely sure the backup was taken *after* the missing objects were defined?

• Yes I'm absolutely sure, I'have done several backups but the result is always the same . But I'm suspecting something is terribly wrong with the source machine cause it's very slow???

• As a test - could you restore to a "test db" on the same machine and see what it does...?!?!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Kirsi, are you restoring the database to a different server?  If so, I'm wondering if perhaps some of your database objects are finding themselves attached to a user who himself is no longer attached to a login.  I think such objects would still "show up" in a list in Enterprise Manager, but depending on how you're connecting, you might not "see" them. 

If this is the case, the objects are still there, it's a matter of making them visible.

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the missing objects reside by themselves on a separate file that wasn't restored, but I have no experience with that scenario.  I don't even think the database would restore properly, but I'm just guessing, at this point.  Maybe one of the big guys will weigh in...?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply