Missing Indexes

• Interesting question and discussion, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Yeah, very interesting. I would have thought it would fail, but the debate is interesting. I'm going to have to play around with this when I have some time. Thanks for a very thought-provoking question.

• Hugo Kornelis (9/11/2015)

Jacob Wilkins (9/10/2015)

Well, I tested it multiple times in 2008 R2 and that was the behavior I saw. Perhaps that behavior is different than in other versions, but at least on my instance of 2008 R2 what I said is correct.

(...)

I reproduced the same behavior in 2008 R2, 2012, and 2014.

Below is the script I used to test:

Thanks for the effort, and most of all thanks for correcting me. I replied from memory, and my memory was clearly wrong. My bad!

No worries! I didn't even have a memory on the topic to consult, so I was forced to test before commenting 🙂

• Jacob Wilkins (9/11/2015)

Hugo Kornelis (9/11/2015)

Jacob Wilkins (9/10/2015)

Well, I tested it multiple times in 2008 R2 and that was the behavior I saw. Perhaps that behavior is different than in other versions, but at least on my instance of 2008 R2 what I said is correct.

(...)

I reproduced the same behavior in 2008 R2, 2012, and 2014.

Below is the script I used to test:

Thanks for the effort, and most of all thanks for correcting me. I replied from memory, and my memory was clearly wrong. My bad!

No worries! I didn't even have a memory on the topic to consult, so I was forced to test before commenting 🙂

People who know they don't know are far less dangerous then people who think they know (but don't)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/10/2015)

SQL-DBA-01 (9/10/2015)

Will the database be accessible if one of the files go offline?

The filegroup is offline if any files are. If there is the primary filegroup available and online, the database is online.

However if The secondary filegroup @ some point in time was the default FG and has some clustered indexes in it goes offline; then the DB will be in Recovery Pending Status & won`t come Online, I `ve tested this scenario.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Great question!

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply