Missing Icons in DTS Designer

• I'm at my wit's end.  Everytime I open and existing DTS package or try to create a new package in DTS Designer, I get a msg box thats states "The system cannot find the file specifed."  As descriptive as that is, I am stuck.  All of the "task" icons and "task" entries on the menu are missing.  Several internet and support base searches have resulted in saying that essentially a .dll file is missing or corrupt.  I just cannot figure out which one.  I've unregistered and re-registered all of the .dll's in the redist.txt related to DTS and nothing is working.  As a result, I cannot create any new packages without the tasks available.   It's only on my workstation.  Uninstalling an re-installing isn't helping.

MS XP Pro; MS SQL 2K SP3 with security patch (KB 815495); BTW, it was working OK after this last patch was applied last week.   Does anybody know where these icons and related items are located?

Thanks.

• First, my understanding of the redist.txt files is that they relate to elements needed to run dts packages, not for designer.  The designer is licensed for the Enterprise Manager.  Thus something is hosed with the Enterprise Manager.  Have you tried uninstalling and installing the clint tools?

Russ Loski, MCSD

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• I've seen this error message when a Package created using SQL 2000 Client Tools is edited using SQL 7.0 Client Tools.

• I think it has something to do with the dtsui.dll file or something that it calls.  When I rename this file, and open the designer, the error goes away and I get no icons for tasks or connections.

I uninstalled the EM and tools, deleted program files, and removed Registry entries.  After re-install, same problem. 

I saw the KB article related to 7.0 vs 2K packages, but it does not apply since these are all 2K packages

I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply