Mirroring in a WSFC environment

• We are planning to set up mirroring for a small application db we're installing in our environment.  The infrastructure team wants to install this on a file cluster and let the cluster (with an SMB witness) handle the failover.  I had thought that since this is simple mirroring, and not an availability group, this wouldn't work.  Am I wrong?

• From your post, we can understand that:
    1. Your Infrastructure Team wants a Failover Cluster with a FSW Quorum instead of shared Disk, 
    2. SQL DB Mirroring uses a Witness SQL instance, not WFC. 
    3. Availability Groups uses WFC, which will use the FSW Quorum. 

If those assumptions are correct, then yes, the WFC and quorum will not be necessary for SQL purposes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Yes, those assumptions are correct.  So, as I assumed, the cluster and its witness have no bearing on the sql mirroring at all, correct?  The mirroring, which I'm just setting up, will need a sql instance to act as witness if we want automatic failover.  I've tried to find documentation to support this (one way or the other) and haven't been able.

• Mark Harley - Friday, October 27, 2017 10:21 AM

Yes, those assumptions are correct.  So, as I assumed, the cluster and its witness have no bearing on the sql mirroring at all, correct?  The mirroring, which I'm just setting up, will need a sql instance to act as witness if we want automatic failover.  I've tried to find documentation to support this (one way or the other) and haven't been able.

Correct, the cluster has no bearing on SQL Mirroring, not saying you can't incorporate it, but as a requirement, not necessary. 
    Using a witness instance in SQL DB Mirroring will provide automatic failover.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/database-mirroring/setting-up-database-mirroring-sql-server
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/sql-server-citation-sql-blog-by-hemantgiri-s-goswami-sql-mvp/2016/03/25/configure-sql-server-database-mirroring-step-by-step/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Mirroring, introduced in SQL Server 2005, requires a minimum of 2 servers, Windows Clusters or not, plus a witness for automatic failover. Always On Availability Groups, introduce in SQL Server 2012, combines Windows Clustering and Mirroring and the most resilient configuration would be shared nothing configuration geo separated maintaining a failover configuration sharing a virtual IP. This means if you loose the SAN on the primary you could still resume on the failover.

• see my stairway to Alwayson starting at this link

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply