Mirroring connection breaks

• Can anyone help with these EventLog errors?  We are running mirroring with a witness on several databases on a production server.  The problem starts with EventID 1479 (Connection to mirror instance had timed out after 10 seconds without a response).  Then comes EventID 1442 (Database mirroring for database x is inactive).  And finally EventID 1474 (The specified network name is no longer available for xxx (mirror instance)).

Weirdly, before the database fail-over, the EventLog reports "Starting up database x".  The whole cycle only took some 30 seconds, but then repeated twice more.

I don't seen anything else in the System or Application Event Viewer that sheds any light.  To me it doesn't seem to be a SQL problem , but a network connectivity problem.

There are no Jobs or Backups running during this period.  I have custom Alerts which report the same sequence:  Connection with mirror lost; Principal running exposed; No Quorum; Synchronizing Principal; Synchronized Principal with Witness.  The event seems to happen at night; usually, but not always near midnight. 

Could there be DNS or other network issues working here?  Any ideas where I should look?

Thanks,

Elliott

• Hi, did you ever get a resolution to your issue? We are having the same exact problem.

thanks!

• No, I didn't get any suggestions on where to look. I still believe that it is a network connectivity problem, not a SQL Server problem. The problem is rare enough that we just work around it.

Elliott

• I just had the exact same issue happen....i believe it to be a network issue, but unable to find exact cause. The auto fail over may not be the best idea if i continue to see these false alarms.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply