Mirroring auto fail over

• I have 3 servers (principal, mirroring and witness) and I am confuse how it works

I am in testing stage. And in my understanding if principal server failed, mirror server become the principal and the witness become mirror. then when original principal server is up and running again, it will go back in the original role.

but that's not what happened when i am testing it. principal server failed, mirror server become principal and then when i put original principal server back it become the mirror server, then the mirror server stay as principal server.

Can anyone can clarify this? thanks!

• Mirroring is autofailover only. When the server that was the principal comes back online, it will become the mirror. If you want it to become the principal again, you'll have to manually fail it back.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • thanks! to work around with this I add a job that will check the linked server of the original principal server. If it linked then change to the original role.

Is this the best way to do this?

• Well, why do you need to fail back? What's wrong with just leaving the former mirror as the principal?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Because I am using Border Gateway Protocol which will route my IP address if the network server is down.

BGP has capability to go back to original IP address once it is working and added application to sink all the processes to catch up.

I would like SQL to do the same automatically because we have over night processes and I don’t want somebody will call me in the middle of my beauty sleep and say our SQL server is not in proper connection.

Or I can turn off BGP auto bounce back in our overnight processes and be stress dealing with this in the morning by doing it manually. (both SQL and Network) hehe

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply