Mirroring Authorization, to use service account or not

• Hi all,

I am currently setting up a mirrored environment using SQL 2008 R2. Now I have worked with Mirroring before but not set one up and I am chiefly concerned about the Authorization option, which doesnt appear to be covered very well in threads and blogs.

So I understand the principal of the thing, the login given will own the mirroring enpoints and essentially will be used to connect etc. What I havent got my head around are the pro's and con's of using the service account or another windows account to own the service.

From my perspective I would like to avoid the service account option, more because I am cautious about running too many things as my SA. Still what I dont know is what permissions the account would need.

In the existing scenario the account has Sysadmin, which is probably a little overboard, however without getting a good grip on what is required of it I cannot say what permissions it really needs.

Can anyone throw in an opinon? I own the service so its not a case of being restricted, just trying to figure out best practice.

• Best practices is to not enable the SA account at all, unless you actually need to use it due to your environment (non-Windows clients, legacy apps, etc). If you are in a Windows domain, you should create a domain user account to use as your SQL service account.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply