Mirroring and Clustering

• Hi,

We are currently upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2 and Windows 2008 R2. Our current set-up is:

2 x Active/Passive clusters with 1 named instance each. All databases are mirrored to 2 standalone servers at a DR site; one for each cluster. It's SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition SP3, on Windows 2003 cluster.

We have just purchased 4 x Dell Poweredge R810, 32 cores, 384GB RAM , SAN attached servers to replace the 2 old clusters. Each server has 1 x dual port 10GB card and 3 x dual port 1GB cards in them

We are going to be consolidating the 2 active/passive clusters into 1 multi-instance cluster, which is synchronised with a clustered DR site using database mirroring. Identical kit and storage in both sites.

One thing that we want to do is to split the user, mirroring and backup traffic. I know how to create mirroring on dedicated NIC's/ separate VLANs when SQL Server's installed on standalone servers, but am struggling with how to do it within a cluster. I have to create the mirroring endpoints on a clustered resource, otherwise if the cluster were to flip over due to node failure, the mirroring will break (as the node will have disappeared). But, so far as I've tested, I can't create a second clustered IP resource for a SQL Server instance, which I can then dedicate to mirroring.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Or even whether this is worth while and we should just team the network cards and have all traffic going through the same network channel.

We have approx. 250 - 350 GB a day traffic mirrored between production and DR, though in the next year or so, this is forecast to rise considerably.

Thanks in advance,

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• you may setup a mirror session using an IP address, this is detailed here.

This may be useful too.

You'll need to set up a 2nd clustered IP for the 2nd nic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry.

We had at the same moment come up with a slightly different solution which tests ok.

We have created multiple Access-Points per SQL cluster bound to the different pairs of teamed nics and the set dependancy of the cluster network to the ip of the new Access-Point and then dependancied the SQL Server instance to the new Access-Point.

A bit complex, but it d oes what we want.

Thanks again.

A.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply