Mirroring

• Hi

I have db x is in mirroring .Primary server is server is a and mirroring server is b.i stopped the mirroring and made some check on mirring db.I need to resume the mirroring.Instead of again taking backup from primary and restore to mirroing server is there any alternate method to resume the mirroring.the db size is 200gb.

Binu

• Did you pause the mirroring session, or did you completely disable mirroring?

If you look at the servers in management studio's object explorer, do the database still mirrored and principal/mirror?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi

I need a detail.This is my requirement.I have to stop mirroring temperoaly and check the morring db and primary db both having same data and need to reconfigure again. Pls explain

• I'm not sure I understand you. Have you stopped mirroring or are you planning to. First post said you had, second said you needed to do it. If you have already done it, what, exactly, did you do?

If a database is mirrored, the mirror will be an exact copy of the principal. That's the whole point of mirroring and SQL takes care of that.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Hi,

I stopped the mirroring and checked the mirroring db.Next I have againg take full and tlog backup from primary server ,restored into mirrroing server and again configured mirroring.As the db size is huge it took more time.I need to know is their any alternate method,then I can follow that method next time

Binu

• If you completely disable mirroring, you will have to restart it from scratch, with a restore of a full backup.

Why did you need to check the mirrored DB? It will be identical to the principal, you can check data there.

Gail Shaw

• Hi gail.

It is a part of our job. Once in a month we have to stop mirroring and test both servers.Kinldy help me.

• binu.ma (11/16/2008)

Kinldy help me.

Already have.

If you completely disable mirroring, you will have to restart it from scratch, with a restore of a full backup.

Gail Shaw

• This time you have to doit from scratch but for next time when you want to check morrired database please create sanpshot of mirrored database if you can so that you dont have to do it from scratch. snapshot of database provide only read only access.

• Hi,

So here is the deal.

1) We have to stop mirroring every month in order to do our routine

work.

2) We don't want to Re-initiallize it from scratch.

In this case as others mentioned we should PAUSE MIRRORING. But I am not optimistic on that side as well reason you have mentioned that we have to make changes on both of the servers which are part of Mirroring. As in when Mirroring is one we cannot use second database so I don't think after pausing it we can make changes in Mirror database and continue our work.

The only option we have is to reinitialize it from SCRATCH.

Regards

GURSETHI

• I think I understand the dilemma here. I also have numerous database sometimes on a weekly basis that I have to bring online in our mirror location. You have a few options.

1. As mentioned if your requirement is to verify the data and you are running SQL Ent, then you can take a database snapshot of the mirrored DB without having to remove the mirroring.

2. You can failover the database to your mirror server, remember transactions will be mirrored back.

3. You can remove mirroring in which case you will have to start from scratch.

We have automated as much of this process as possible by writing some utilities via SMO to setup our mirrors unattended via jobs.

Hope this helps out.

Jim

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply