Mini-Me

• and I third :P.

• I think I started doing scheduled data quality queries with the first databases that we started developing. Currently I have a query that looks for bad times entered into permit inspection performance (time has to be entered as HH:MM, inspection date must be after scheduled date (it's amazing how many time-traveling inspectors that we have!), etc.) It's sent to the dept head and the head clerk twice a day because invalid entries will cause the time calculation to bomb. Unfortunately we don't control the code in our ERP system, so I can't constrain the data at that layer, so inspecting and reporting is all I can do.

It's an invaluable thing, especially if data quality issues can cause canned processes to blow up or return incorrect results. I tend towards OSQL and scheduled jobs, but I'm known to sometimes do things in a more complicated fashion for a variety of reasons.

And then there's my nightly Perl run that gathers the server logs for the previous 24 hours along with my DBCC summaries. One of these days it'll be migrated to Power Shell, but not soon.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• You can access a free copy of the virtualDBA system and documentation that Gaby mentions at:

http://www.eleven27.ca/apps/virtualDBA/

Thanks,

Mark W

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply