Mind mapping software - How it can help the DBA

• Thanks for the post David. I had explored Mind Mapping a couple of years ago but was turned off by the web based version I was looking into. I couldn't deal with the inability to save my work and the lack of flexibility in doing what I want. I read your article yesterday morning. It re-sparked my interest so I downloaded xMind and have used it throughout yesterday and today. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I've been using a combination of apps I wrote along with spreadsheets and word docs to keep my projects organized. The flexibility of xMind along with how versatile it is with regard to... hyperlinks, structure & view changes, notes, drill downs.. and so much more. So far this looks like it will help me enormously. Thanks again for the post.

Bob.

• My son introduced me to mind mapping when he was taught it at school at the age of 8 or 9 (mid 1990's) as a study aid and I've used it quite often since. Visio includes the ability to draw the diagrams but a pen and paper is still my favourite "thinking" tool for the first draft.

• I mapped my mind and I was surprised to discover that it only had two branches: "Sex" and "Donuts".

What I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity!

• I've found benefit using the Mind Mapping software, and I've found it to be a great communication tool when working with global colleagues and partners.

The challenge is that the same file structure is used to store the mind maps - <some folder> \ <some mind map>. After creating a few dozen mind maps, I find the brainstorming capabilities start to get bogged down in trying to keep track of the maps.

Has anyone found a tool that might address this challenge, keeping in my mind Sharepoint and other large collaboration tools are too expensive?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• collins.jmj (12/6/2011)

The challenge is that the same file structure is used to store the mind maps - <some folder> \ <some mind map>. After creating a few dozen mind maps, I find the brainstorming capabilities start to get bogged down in trying to keep track of the maps.

Has anyone found a tool that might address this challenge, keeping in my mind Sharepoint and other large collaboration tools are too expensive?

I think you have run into a fundamental problem with information management and communication.

The easy bit is creating the content.

The hard part is creating an easily maintained, understood and used library system for that information.

I am not being facetious when I suggest a database might provide a solution. There is a lot of skill in designing the taxonomy, structure and metadata for information artefacts of which mind maps are just one.

I've toyed with the idea of the SQL2008 remote blob store to help build something light and simple but at this stage it is just an idea. I have considered keeping suitable metadata in tables and putting full-text indices over the top of them but I feel that full-text indices are a bit limit in their capability. They don't really allow phonetic searching which would really boost their applicable uses.

• collins.jmj (12/6/2011)

I've found benefit using the Mind Mapping software, and I've found it to be a great communication tool when working with global colleagues and partners.

I may be misunderstanding your challenge, but I haven't had that issue with SmartDraw. Because I use hyperlinks to link the mind maps together, I can determine the folder/file structure however I want. I usually include links From and To my mind maps, so I can navigate from one mind map to another by drilling up or drilling down, without having to remember the file structure.

There's also a feature called Collections to organize and group all your visuals (i.e. mind maps, gantt charts, flow charts, etc.), which is handy when I want to group and send all of the mind maps and diagrams for a particular project to someone outside my team.

• Maybe you could forward them to MS OneNote.

What I lack in youth, I make up for in immaturity!

• 😎 Thank you David! 😎

This was exactly what I needed. I am working on some standards and measures documentation for our BI team and I was completely stuck on one part. I took your advice, grabbed XMind, and mapped it out. Problem solved and I am back to work on a very important task.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• I have been using MindJet for the last couple of years and have found it an indispensable tool in projects to map both database schemas, application dependencies to data and interfaces. Most of this project are applications in place that need maintenance to data and the App.

The mapping software let me put all the data together and map relations to be able to understand the client usage scenario and the data generated from those usage.

I will highly recommend any DBA, Programmer or PM to use the tool to map your project dependencies, schemas and any other use that you may think of. I have even used the software to pitch new project Ideas to management, make presentation, for training of personnel, data archival, system documentation, just to name a few.

Thanks for the article.

• Tom Brown: Thanks for your additional info on the bigger picture. I'm going to look into it!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply