Migration to New Server - Stocktake

• Hi,

We are soon going to migrate our intranet sql server over to a new server.

I would like to do a "stocktake" of our current server.  I want to record things such as:

- Databases

- Logins

- Stored Procedures (including input parameters, what db they belong to, security settings)

- Tables (including columns, keys, indexes, identities etc.)

- Views

- User-defined Functions (including parameters in, what they return)

- Full Text Catalogs

- DTS packages

- Scheduled Jobs

- Replication

Before I start querying sysobjects on each database and making a bit fat Excel file, has anyone recently done this themselves, and if so, do you have any suggestions as to the best way to go about it?

• Why not use EM to produce a SCRIPT of ALL objects??  Granted you need to do this PER database but this can be done using sp_MSForEachDB to assist with the scripting SQL.....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Acknowledged.

However, my ideal solution would be something that I can put into excel which I can then annotate with notes. To that end, I would like tyo be able to list tables, then views, then sp's etc etc....

• Acknowledged.

However, my ideal solution would be something that I can put into excel which I can then annotate with notes. To that end, I would like tyo be able to list tables, then views, then sp's etc etc....

• The script that EM generates is either a SINGLE text file or MULTIPLE text files.  You can import these into Excel and then annotate to your hearts content...

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply