Migration (of the person kind not the data kind!)

• Hi All,

I was just wondering if there was anyone here that has made the move from the UK to Canada (or any other emigration stories)?

I'm looking at uprooting myself and shipping over to Vancouver and I am looking for someone who wants to share their story.

Thanks in advance,

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• parents came over here from what used to be the USSR almost 30 years ago. dad got a logistics job and my mom had to learn english and went to a few schools until she settled on fashion. a lot of americans went to canada in the 1960's and 1970's to escape the Vietnam draft. best thing is find out the immigration policy of the country you are thinking of moving to. a lot of countries have very strict rules.

• Thanks for you reply. I've looked in to the immigration policies etc, and I'm putting some feelers out for job opportunites and generally just trying to get some info from someone who's done this kind of thing.

Thanks again,

Ade

• There was a guy in the UK (Andrew I think), that pinged me and actually moved over to Denver a few years back. I'm not sure I have his contact info, and not sure he still visits the site, but I'll see if I can dig it up later.

I've moved cross-US, though it's not that similar as changing countries. However I went to a place I'd visited for a few days, and never lived.

Vancouver is beautiful. Best of luck and hope you enjoy it.

• Adrian,

I moved temporarily (to the US) but it was all handled by my company so its not really relevant for you.

Once I'd applied for my Visa (paperwork was done by someone else) I had to go and spend a morning at the american embassy in Berkeley Square (in London) to go and get it rubber stamped. Onec that was done I was on my way about a week later.

Can't remember the name of my Visa. It was one that allowed me to work over there anyway).

-Jamie

• Thanks for your help guys... One huge bonus of moving to Vancouver is that when the PASS conference hits Seattle again, I'll actually be able to go!! 😀

Ade

• You would not believe how many folks I heard here (in this fairly large midwest city) talk about moving to Vancouver after Bush became the 'current occupant' this last election! I did some research on it and found that, if I were to move out of the U.S., Vancouver would definitely be on the list, but I really like the UK as well! Especially the people....but concerned about the financial (taxes) aspect of a move there.

• Adrian Nichols (7/14/2008)

Thanks for your help guys... One huge bonus of moving to Vancouver is that when the PASS conference hits Seattle again, I'll actually be able to go!! 😀

i'd look into this

after 9/11 they tightened the rules for traveling between US and Canada. Used to be you could just drive across, now i think you have to show passports and whatever. i remember driving from Italy to Germany and the Austrians were usually asleep when we crossed the border at Brennero. no one ever checked us

• but concerned about the financial (taxes) aspect of a move there

...Tell me about it, I'm surprised I don't get taxed for posting on forums (maybe just a matter of time!) :angry:

I've got a 3 week Canada tour booked for September/October this year. I've got 4 nights in Toronto having a scout about there to see if it's worth considering too; 11 night tour of the rockies in a hire car doing the touristy bit; and then a full week in Vancouver (hitting Vancouver the day before Thanksgiving I believe). But the main cost of all that was fuel, tax and surcharges on the flights!!!!

Ade

• I've been to Vancouver twice. It's a big city, spanning across the water, and I really liked it. It's expensive, but people were nice, lots of public transport, beautiful, clean, a very nice place.

We're actually considering it for a vacation spot one of these years.

• Adrian, good luck with it if you do decide to go!

I would love to move across the pond to the US/Canada, and one day i am sure i will - especially with the way Taxes are going up here.

Matt.

• Is it another good reason to move to Vancouver?

Microsoft Expanding Canadian Operations in Greater Vancouver Area

New software development center to be opened in fall 2007.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/jul07/07-05MSExpandVancouverPR.mspx

• "....to be opened in fall 2007"

I hope this isn't another MS project that is already late 😀

• Vivien - Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard about this. Everyday's a school day!

To everybody, the support and info is great. Thank you all. 😀

Ade

• I moved from HK to US 28 years ago. The immigration process was tidious then, now it was even worse after 9/11.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply