Migration of AlwaysON database 2012 to 2014

• Perry Whittle (1/29/2015)

muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (1/28/2015)

Since it's already a GEO cluster 4 node in USA (6 SQL instances)+ 2 node in China (2 SQL instances).

All 6 nodes part of the same WSFC?

My plan is to migrate the 2 named instance in USA from WSFC 2008+ SQL2012 to WSFC SQL2014.

If all nodes are part of the same WSFC i would use option 1

Yes, all 6 nodes are part of same WSFC. And node 3 & 4 has 2 SQL2012 pair instances default+ named.

But, in option 1 - I have two different WSFC. And i need to move the pair named instances from WSFC 2008 to WSFC 2012. is the option 1 will work here?

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• More clearly, the primary site has node1,2,3,4. In Node 3 (SQl1,SQL1\N) and 4(SQl1\N,SQL1) has a/a pair SQL instances. Need to move only SQL1\N from WSFC 2008 to 2012. Which one is better cross-cluster migration or backup/restore.

I have read the document which you have shared it and my understanding it has lots of work for the cross-cluster migration than backup/restore.

Thanks for you help and taking on your valuable time.

• muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy (1/29/2015)

Perry Whittle (1/29/2015)

Since it's already a GEO cluster 4 node in USA (6 SQL instances)+ 2 node in China (2 SQL instances).

All 6 nodes part of the same WSFC?

My plan is to migrate the 2 named instance in USA from WSFC 2008+ SQL2012 to WSFC SQL2014.

If all nodes are part of the same WSFC i would use option 1

Yes, all 6 nodes are part of same WSFC. And node 3 & 4 has 2 SQL2012 pair instances default+ named.

But, in option 1 - I have two different WSFC. And i need to move the pair named instances from WSFC 2008 to WSFC 2012. is the option 1 will work here?

No, option 1 involves nodes in the same WSFC and joining the instances to the existing AO group

Option 2 is the cross cluster migartion scenario and is not an easy task by any means. there is a doc from MS which i linked above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks. So, I think I will plan for a backup/restore method.

• My boss want to migrate to sql 2014 currently we have another site and he wants to create a DR using AlwaysOn AG what do you suggest to do?

Actual configuration for sql 2012 have 4 nodes cluster containing 15 instances on them? All nodes have windows 2012 r2 standard what option will be the best I have a latency of 7 ms and all servers will be on same network 10.0.66.xxx but separated by 100 miles.

• Fernando Jacinto Alvarez (1/29/2015)

My boss want to migrate to sql 2014 currently we have another site and he wants to create a DR using AlwaysOn AG what do you suggest to do?

Actual configuration for sql 2012 have 4 nodes cluster containing 15 instances on them? All nodes have windows 2012 r2 standard what option will be the best I have a latency of 7 ms and all servers will be on same network 10.0.66.xxx but separated by 100 miles.

Please start a new thread.

• Fernando Jacinto Alvarez (1/29/2015)

My boss want to migrate to sql 2014 currently we have another site and he wants to create a DR using AlwaysOn AG what do you suggest to do?

Option 1 of my post above

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply