migration of 2000 --> 2005 sql server:

• Hello all,

I was wondering if someone can tell me:

> if the import / export wizard is 100% bulletproof in migration of 2000 to 2005 ss?

> what is the purpose of dtproperties table in 2000

thx

John Esraelo

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

• Here are my inputs.

1. I cannot say 100%. But it should not have any problem in general.

2. dtProperties in SQL 2000 is a system used to store info for diagram.

Any others would like to have more input?

• the reason for asking the question number 2 was that I was playing around with the iBuySpy, I am not sure if you are familiar with that or not, and noticed that there were some code in C# and stored procedures in sql server 2000 that are refering to the dtproperties and sysusers. Therefore, I was concerned with the fact that I may have to compensate if the wizard does not transfer or migrate that table over properly. Does this make sense?

thx

JohnE

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

• You can always leave database with SQL Server 2000 compatibility level

Regards Ramon

• My best and safest bet would be to backup 2000 database and restore it on 2005 and change the compatibility mode, transfer logins using script given in this link, map users and logins, remove all the user schema's from database. If you have dts packages on 2000 server then save them into structured file and then move to 2005. (check legacy in M M Studio)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133 -- Check method 2 for transferring logins from 2000 - 2005.

SQL DBA.

• Ramon Jimenez (2/13/2008)

You can always leave database with SQL Server 2000 compatibility level

I tried this and had lot of problems in full text search indexes when SQL server 2000 database is put into compatibility mode 80 in sql server 2005. Not a good choice.

SQL DBA.

• I do not have any search index going on... so I should be good to go if I go to the link and check out the script...

thank you guys.

I will give that a shot.

John Esraelo

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply