Migration from MS Sql Server 2016 => PostgreSQL 9.6.12

• Looks like this is going to be a thing for me sooner rather than later and I'm just starting to think about how to go about this.

Does anyone have any good reference material or know about any conversion apps that are worth the effort?

Also, does anyone have any advice for keeping a PostgreSQL database in sync with a MS SQL Server database

Cheers, D

Code-Blooded

• You could just do it with stored procedures and linked servers depending on how complex your data is.

SSIS will probably be the best GUI-based conversion tool you can find however, and you'll already have the license for it. I find working in the GUI slow and frustrating though, whenever I can I just write it

• I guess my question would be... if you have to keep Postgre in sync with the SQL Server data, why are you using Postgre???

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yea...I think I agree. Just run a job at x intervals to sync up the data. I'll look up linking to a PostgreSQL server.

The schema conversion I'm thinking of just scripting objects out by type, find and replace/rewrite,run in postgresql, and test like crazy. Maddingly tedious, but I'm not sure any app is going to do any better a job. It can't rewrite the code for me and I can script the rest quicker then setting up any app

I guess...pitter pater lets get at 'er

Code-Blooded

• We have databases that need to, eventually, fully migrate to PostgreSQL for the future environment they will be hosted on.

Code-Blooded

• delizat4g wrote:

We have databases that need to, eventually, fully migrate to PostgreSQL for the future environment they will be hosted on.  

Got it.  Thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply