Migrating to Azure SQL Managed Instance from SQL 2017

• Hello,

Do you have to use 'Azure Database Migration Service' to migrate to Azure SQL Managed Instance from a SQL 2017 VM in Azure?  Or can you just do a backup and restore using Credentials and backing up to Azure blob storage and restoring?  I took the backup and restore approach and it worked just fine.  I already ran the Database Migration Assistance and fixed any issues found.  I then scripted and migrated Logins, Operators, SQL Jobs, etc.

I guess my question is what is the advantage to using 'Azure Database Migration Service' - having the GUI?

Thanks,

Daniel

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• DanielP wrote:

Hello,

Do you have to use 'Azure Database Migration Service' to migrate to Azure SQL Managed Instance from a SQL 2017 VM in Azure?  Or can you just do a backup and restore using Credentials and backing up to Azure blob storage and restoring?  I took the backup and restore approach and it worked just fine.  I already ran the Database Migration Assistance and fixed any issues found.  I then scripted and migrated Logins, Operators, SQL Jobs, etc.

I guess my question is what is the advantage to using 'Azure Database Migration Service' - having the GUI?

Thanks,

Daniel

Azure Database Migration Service is a tool that helps you simplify, guide and automate your database migration to Azure. Easily migrate your data, schema and objects from multiple sources to the cloud at scale. Microsoft Azure cloud migration services make it easy to implement Azure cloud solutions to migrate your simple as well as heavy workloads to Azure. Save money with Azure's pay-as you-go model and enjoy the scalability as your organization grows with the right guidance to your Azure adoption. It is also important to follow the best practices when you need to successfully migrate your on-premise infrastructure to Azure Cloud Services. Azure migration services allow you to move physical, virtual and the most complex cloud-based workload into and between Azure with reduced downtime, costs and security risks.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• On the other hand besides the info provided via Benwalker , instead of using Azure Database Migration Service, you can use tools like Sharegate, Gs Richcopy 360, or Goodsync to migrate the database automatically and easily with just a few steps to Azure

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply