Migrating SSIS 2005 to SSDT 2012

• We are migrating our current SQL server 2005 to 2012. We have many SSIS packages in 2005 that are using ActiveX script task. Since this feature is depreciated in SQL 2012, I am not able to run these packages in 2012. So what options do I have apart from rewriting code for these 30 some packages that use ActiveX script to run on SQL 2012.

One that I have tried till now is I installed BIDS 2005 on our SQL Server 2012 machine. I can run the packages on this visual studio. Ran these jobs using below command through SQL Server agent, cmdExec C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /Runexit "D:\SSIS_Pkg\MK_2005\SSIS_2005\SSIS_2005.sln" /Log "D:\SSIS_PKg\MK_2005\SSIS_2005\DesignerLog.txt"

Doing above, SQL Server agent job even after running this job does not completes as designer awaits user response to stop the job even after completing the job.

So what can I do to run my ActiveX script job on 2012

• You can install multiple versions of the IS binaries on a server. In this case you could run the Packages using the version of DTExec.exe installed with SQL Server 2005 by fully-qualifying the path to the executable when you want to run your Packages. For all newer Packages you would need to run those with the relevant, newer version of DTExec.exe.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thank you 'Orlando Colamatteo' for replying. I have tried that in past but I receive below error while running my job through SQL Server agent:

Error: 2016-01-14 11:20:40.48

Code: 0xC0012024

Source: ActiveX Script Task undefined

Description: The task "ActiveX Script Task undefined" cannot run on this edition of Integration Services. It requires a higher level edition.

End Error

Script that I used was:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\dtexec" /F "D:\SSIS_Pkg\MK_2005\SSIS_2005\SSIS_2005\DTS_MySSISActiveXscript.dtsx"

• this part if the error is suspicious:

requires a higher level edition

Verify you are running a Package in 2005 format.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Mayank Khatri (1/13/2016)

We are migrating our current SQL server 2005 to 2012. We have many SSIS packages in 2005 that are using ActiveX script task. Since this feature is depreciated in SQL 2012, I am not able to run these packages in 2012. So what options do I have apart from rewriting code for these 30 some packages that use ActiveX script to run on SQL 2012.

One that I have tried till now is I installed BIDS 2005 on our SQL Server 2012 machine. I can run the packages on this visual studio. Ran these jobs using below command through SQL Server agent, cmdExec C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /Runexit "D:\SSIS_Pkg\MK_2005\SSIS_2005\SSIS_2005.sln" /Log "D:\SSIS_PKg\MK_2005\SSIS_2005\DesignerLog.txt"

Doing above, SQL Server agent job even after running this job does not completes as designer awaits user response to stop the job even after completing the job.

So what can I do to run my ActiveX script job on 2012

If you used the right words, then you did the wrong thing.

... One that I have tried till now is I installed BIDS 2005 on our SQL Server 2012 machine. ...

It's not BIDS that you need to install, it's SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), the service, not BIDS the developer IDE.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I know it's not the easiest solution, but the best solution is to completely rethink, and redo, the packages. You might find that in some cases, you can get rid of the ActiveX scripts.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Yup, I did use right words, installed BIDS so that I could open up these packages look at them and also was being optimistic of being running them. Actually, I am able to even run them but they do not stop through SQL Server agent. They remain in 'run' state ever after completing the job

Same problem that the guy had who presented the solution:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24866056/launch-visual-studio-2012-shell-integrated-and-run-ssis-package-using-windows

Yes, converting them would be ideal but time frame is too short to convert these packages right now from 2005 to 2012 for these 37 packages

Thank you 'Alvin Ramard' for replying and looking at my problem

• When you go to Services do you see two "Integration Services" services, e.g. "SQL Server Integration Services" which would be from SQL 2005 and "SQL Server Integration Services 11.0" which would be for SQL 2012?

When you installed SQL 2005 Integration Services which Edition of SQL Server did you use to do the install, e.g. Enterprise, Standard, etc?

--Plato

• I did install SQL 2005 standard edition integration services. But now my buds 2005 is crashing. So it seems like I am making progress and missing part was not installing IS 2005. I will know for sure after my bids 2005 starts working again as I have to edit my activex script task and run again

• Thank you Guys, everything seems to be working now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply