Migrating SQL Managed Instaces from one Subscription to another

• Is there a way to migrate Managed instances from one subscription to another?

From what i have read this is not supported but i am not sure if this is still the case or not?

If not what is the simplest way to migrate databases from one managed instance to another as i am guessing this is the only option available?

Many Thanks

• The following shows what types of service can be moved between subscription and resource groups in Azure:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/management/move-support-resources

Managed instance can't be moved and neither can the databases directly.  Think you will have to back up (copy-only) to a storage account then restore to the new subscription from there.

• Thank you for your reply, I thought this would be the case from what I had read I just wanted to be 100% sure.

• Other option is, database backups are taken by MSFT and maintained, you can restore individual databases using powershell commandlet Restore-AzSqlInstanceDatabase

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply